Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ran over a bike.

(159 Posts)
Frogqueen13 Thu 05-Jan-17 07:29:32

I ran over a child's bike- unattended in front on my car on my drive. I could find owner so left it on the side of the road. Went to get my car fixed as it had pulled a bit of the underneath off. And went to work late.

Now I have a note through my door asking what I am going to do to resolve this before she calls the police.

Wwyd?

Lilaclily Thu 05-Jan-17 07:30:55

Did she leave a number? I'd give her a ring and offer to pay for it just to get rid of the situation tbh

Mrsmorton Thu 05-Jan-17 07:32:42

I'd offer a contribution but wtf (victim blaming here) was it doing there in the first place?

Sixisthemagicnumber Thu 05-Jan-17 07:35:33

I would ask her for the repair costs to my car. The bike should not have been on your drive (I assume it is s private drive). Let her call the police as it won't get her anywhere.

Frogqueen13 Thu 05-Jan-17 07:36:07

I have £20 to let me the month there was only me earning I would offer to pay half but I have already paid to fix my car.

I can give my last £20
Offer to pay at the end of the month
Or bill her for the damage

So angry I really don't need this right now

ScarlettDarling Thu 05-Jan-17 07:36:25

I'd ring her and ask if she's going to pay for the repairs which you needed for the car.

Who leaves a bike unattended on a stranger's drive? confused

If the bike was in a place where you couldn't see it, then you can't possibly be blamed for damaging it.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Thu 05-Jan-17 07:37:39

How on earth didn't you see a bike in front of your car?

Aftertheraincomesthesun Thu 05-Jan-17 07:37:45

Absolutely let her call the police.

Frogqueen13 Thu 05-Jan-17 07:39:24

I didn't walk in front of my car. I reverse onto my drive
And I have a large car

ferriswheel Thu 05-Jan-17 07:39:29

If it was on my drive then I would play hard ball and ask where to send the bill for my car. You sound very reasonable. I'd be furious. You must have got such a scare.

NewIdeasToday Thu 05-Jan-17 07:40:32

While the bike shouldn't have been there - as a car driver you are responsible for driving safely. What if the kid has been near their bike? Did you not see it at all?

Having said that, given your financial position I wouldn't offer to pay. Threaten to bill her for your car damage if she persists. I can't believe the police would do anything about this.

Motherfuckers Thu 05-Jan-17 07:41:36

She needs to pay you, not the other way round. Phone her and tell her it was abandoned on your property and give her the bill from the garage for your car.

NewIdeasToday Thu 05-Jan-17 07:41:39

Just seen your update - what if the child has also been near the bike? It's really not good enough to say you didn't see it.

TheLionQueen Thu 05-Jan-17 07:42:17

When I was a kid our bikes would get run over by the van man that reverse parked if we left them in the street. No way would our parents try and bill the driver- we'd get a clipped ear for being daft enough for leaving it there, and learn a lesson not to do it again!

Frogqueen13 Thu 05-Jan-17 07:42:45

I have worked 38 hours in two days. I'm shattered, and now I frightened that I'm going to get in to trouble.

I would be so angry if it was my child- but with the child not the driver

The note is polite but emphasises that it was my fault I ran over her children Christmas present.

TheLionQueen Thu 05-Jan-17 07:45:03

Is there a number to call OP? I too would go down the route of suggesting she pays for the repairs you've had to have,I imagine they'll cancel each other out. Maybe you could reason with her.
Either that or ignore the note altogether

NewIdeasToday Thu 05-Jan-17 07:45:40

Well it's the kid's fault that they left it there. Who leaves a brand new bike unattended?

Frogqueen13 Thu 05-Jan-17 07:45:44

I would have noticed a child there was no body around at all as I stopped straight away. I can see my 4 year old if she is stood in front of my car but a bike lying flat on the ground underneath the front of my car nope.

Do you check all the way round your car every time you get in it?

I'm not saying I'm innocent at all I just want to know what others would do in this situation

larrygrylls Thu 05-Jan-17 07:46:21

Bill her for car damage and threaten to call social services over her endangering her child by allowing him/her to play unsupervised among vehicles (I would not actually do it but wtf!)

Frogqueen13 Thu 05-Jan-17 07:47:17

No number. Just an address, which is 2 roads away

Frogqueen13 Thu 05-Jan-17 07:48:23

Looking at the bike it was probably about a 10 year old's bike maybe older

MidnightHag Thu 05-Jan-17 07:48:26

Sounds like the kind of situation where you need to talk to the other person. They probably don't realise that you've had to pay for repairs to your car because their chid left a bike on your drive. It would be unreasonable to expect you to pay when you are already out of pocket because their bike damaged your car.

DodoRevival Thu 05-Jan-17 07:48:52

Was it on your drive or on the path in front of your drive?

MidnightHag Thu 05-Jan-17 07:49:48

Just seen your update. Seems strange there's no number. Do you feel brave enough to call round? Still think talking's the way to go.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Thu 05-Jan-17 07:50:09

Definitely tell her you'll bill her for the damage to the car. Should shut her up. Why the bime was on your drive??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now