Talk

Advanced search

Help with neighbour's noise

(9 Posts)
Mungobungo Mon 02-Jan-17 23:51:21

We (DH and I) live in a mid terrace and have been here for over 10 years, and have neighbours both sides and although we have heard noise from both sides over the years (the odd row, party or next door'a baby crying), it's been a manageable part of life in a modern terrace.

6 months ago, our old neighbours sold up and moved out and in moved a young couple. From day 1 it's been constant noise. Originally it was them doing the house up and people around constantly for barbecues over the summer. A bit irritating because of the constant repetitive banging and the smoke smell, but nothing upsetting by any means.

Then they got a puppy and instead of training it to go out for wees, from day 1 it was just shoved outside and left to howl, bark and cry for up to 30 minutes until they'd bring her in, slam the door and then proceed to yell at her for being a bad dog.

On top of that, it seems (and this is purely speculation) that they may have installed laminate flooring throughout their house, which means that every footstep echoes through the walls. I'm lying here in bed now listening to their STOMP STOMP STOMPING around and it's driving me to the edge of sanity!!!

It's constant, thudding, bassy footsteps, slamming doors or dog howling and I am barely managing to hold myself back from hammering on the walls and screaming at them to shut up! I know that that's totally not the way to manage this. They have an end terrace, so no one on their other side so I couldn't pop an anonymous note through the door without seeming like a total weirdo.

I don't see these new neighbours around much. When I have seen them, I have tried to build a bit of a rapport with them, but either get blanked or nothing more than polite small talk; certainly not enough for me to be able to casually bring up how thin the walls are.

So what the heck can I do?

How can I handle this without appearing like a grouchy old git or being mega passive aggressive (like dropping shampoo bottles into the bath at 4am because I know that their bedroom is next to my bathroom... believe me, I've thought about it)?

It doesn't help that they've just had a very perm baby so I'm loathe to come abuse bad feeling when they've got that to deal with and also, because of that, they aren't in at all much (and have been leaving dog at home for 12 hours straight to howl). I've tried to offer to look after dog for them, mostly for my sanity, but they've brushed it off - fair enough as they don't know me to trust me with their pet. I just feel like Ive got no way in to try to ask them to be a bit more considerate without being stroppy or confrontational.
It's gotten so bad now that I'm thinking of moving house to get away from it and I realise that there's no guarantee of quieter neighbours or as nice an area as this, but I'm feeling desperate now.

Help! Please!?! Any suggestions of how I can deal with this?

ScarletSienna Tue 03-Jan-17 13:22:33

Our neighbour has regular low level noise. It makes me pretty stressed and I hate it. It's clearly a computer game that he plays and he must have some sort of surround sound. I don't mind some noise-it's expected in a semi detached but he must have his volume high for this particular noise and that's what makes me cross. I have in the past asked him to turn it dow MN and it was all very amicable but it's started again so I'm just going to go around again and say that it is bothering us. It's going to be uncomfortable but I don't want it to keep on like this!

Luckystar1 Tue 03-Jan-17 13:33:27

I'm of no assistance to you but I can completely sympathise. We used to live in a semi detached next to a constantly barking dog and it was dire.

It was after the birth of my oldest so I was very tired and I must confess to screaming 'shut that fucking dog up' through the wall a few times...

We actually moved to a detached to escape.

I'm sorry I know how horrible it can be, I hope you find a solution.

Mungobungo Tue 03-Jan-17 15:00:28

It's really wearing me down. She's been home all day today and has been stomping and crashing about since around 10am. Dog has been outside barking for the last 20 minutes. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrgggghhh!

I'm going to have to put my big girl pants on and go round and tell them that we can hear every footstep, bark and yell. Yak.

MiladyThesaurus Tue 03-Jan-17 15:07:57

Scarlett: if he's got a surround sound system, it'll probably be the subwoofer that's causing you problems.

We had neighbours who let their teenage son play his bass guitar through an amplifier for hours. It reverberated through our entire house (you could hear it in the furthest away rooms from the shared walls). They got really start when we had to keep going round to ask if he could maybe use headphones to practice, especially at 10.30pm (or later).

They were arseholes though.

ScarletSienna Tue 03-Jan-17 17:03:05

Thanks, Milady-if it is then hopefully it's something he can turn down with little hassle to him. I hate confrontation!

MiladyThesaurus Tue 03-Jan-17 17:10:40

He can definitely turn the subwoofer down. We have ours at about 20% because any higher and it feels like your head might explode.

ScarletSienna Tue 03-Jan-17 17:28:10

Thank you-I really think it may be that as it is a low rumbling noise and we only really hear it when he watches films or plays computer games.

zofranks Wed 04-Jan-17 13:30:51

You can contact enviromental health who will help you with this - we had some neighbours a while ago that had a dog that was in the garden just barking & howling (we didn't complain btw but someone else did) anyway they had a letter telling them that they either keep the dog quiet or they rehome the dog, neighbours across the road from us have a problem with a young couple who moved in too, same kind of thing minus the baby & dog, again a complaint was made by another neighbour and EV wrote them a nice letter asking them to keep the noise down - maybe go down that route. Our current neighbours are good but they have installed laminate we think as we hear their footsteps too when she has heels on, when they row though the whole street hears them!! We got revenge by having a baby and not worrying about crying....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now