Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

IL's not thanking my parents for hosting Xmas day

(34 Posts)
smartiecake Tue 27-Dec-16 21:12:39

Every year for the past 10 years I have hosted Xmas and cooked for 12+ people, my parents, sister and her family and my in-laws (DH is an only child) so that we are at home and everyone sees the kids and this has been fine. This year my parents hosted, cooked, bought most of the food, lots of effort. Again all of us together and invited my inlaws along. Had a good day and were there for about 9 hours. Today I find out my FIL (v quiet) left without saying thanks or goodbye to my parents, although I am sure MIL did. I am really annoyed by this. What do I do? I want to raise it with the in-laws and say I think it was rude but it could cause a falling out with them and upset DH.
DH doesn't know yet but I will tell him. He is unlikely to want to say anything for fear of rocking the boat but my immediate reaction is they can be on their own next bloody year then but then I am mean.
What do I do? I am fuming

FrostyWind Tue 27-Dec-16 21:14:40

If MiL thanked them, then what's the problem? They were thanked.

TyneTeas Tue 27-Dec-16 21:14:50

Did MIL not thank on behalf of both of them?

OneWithTheForce Tue 27-Dec-16 21:15:58

What do I do?

Nothing! They are adults. Not your children who you get to chastise for rude behaviour. You aren't the behaviour police. If they didn't thank you for hosting you would be entitled to tell them you felt unappreciated but it isn't nothing to do with you. It is between you parents and inlaws. Let people organise their own relationships.

HecAteAllTheXmasPud Tue 27-Dec-16 21:16:00

I wouldnt do anything.
If he is quiet and your mum in law did say thanks I'd be ok with that. I'd not make it into a big deal. Your parents were thanked.

AyeAmarok Tue 27-Dec-16 21:16:08

I don't see the issue if MIL thanked them?

Aderyn2016 Tue 27-Dec-16 21:18:33

I think fil should have said goodbye. It's rude to leave without speaking to the host. If mil thanked your parents, I would take it that she us speaking on behalf of them both.
While fil was a bit rude, I wouldn't cause a row over it, not if it was a one off and he is generally nice.

smartiecake Tue 27-Dec-16 21:18:40

Ok thanks, he never thanks me either he is a miserable sod!
I still think he is rude though he didn't even say bye he just got in the car and left after having their food and drink for 9 hours.
I won't say anything i will just keep my peed off feelings to myself then

MoreThanUs Tue 27-Dec-16 21:20:14

Step away. Your parents are adults, your inlaws are adults - it is between them.

OohhThatsMe Tue 27-Dec-16 21:21:19

Would he actually prefer to stay at home for Christmas Day?

WallisFrizz Tue 27-Dec-16 21:21:21

If he had been enjoying their food and drink for 9 hours, he was possibly drunk? If they are rude generally then yes say something (will probably only cause bad feeling tho) otherwise give benefit of the doubt.

KERALA1 Tue 27-Dec-16 21:22:34

Bloody rude. Mannerless.

BackforGood Tue 27-Dec-16 21:24:11

Nothing to do with you.
If one half of a couple thanked the hosts, then they thanked them on behalf of them both. I don't even see it as an issue.

If it were an issue (say they both walked out without saying anything) it's still nothing to do with you - if it bothered your parents then that's up to them if they invite them again or not.

Keep your nose out.

DollyPlastic Tue 27-Dec-16 21:25:28

He's rude but why are you fuming? If he never thanks you, why did you expect it to be any different this year?

OneWithTheForce Tue 27-Dec-16 21:25:46

Would you like your DH to chastise your parents for things he believes they have done wrong or rudely?

smartiecake Tue 27-Dec-16 21:25:48

Yes he probably would prefer to stay at home but only as poor MIL would wait on him hand and foot and he
Would not get out of his chair all day. He is ok and generally nice but I think he is just lacking in manners sometimes. If it was the other way round my parents would have both thanked them said goodbyes etc and if not MIL would have been in a right huff about it and said so. Maybe he thinks as MIL said thanks then she was speaking for both, but really a 'thanks for having me and a lovely day' would not have been difficult really.

smartiecake Tue 27-Dec-16 21:27:30

I'm annoyed as my parents went to a lot of effort and expense and it was a big deal to them to make it a nice day. Everyone else there managed it. Why it him?

WellErrr Tue 27-Dec-16 21:27:30

Naughty step?

Or take away their tablets?

pklme Tue 27-Dec-16 21:27:38

You said he is quiet. My DH never speaks if I will speak for him.

smartiecake Tue 27-Dec-16 21:28:10

Yes naughty step it is then!

WellErrr Tue 27-Dec-16 21:29:11

Some people are just rude.

You can't change it, it doesn't really affect you, so don't stress.

WellErrr Tue 27-Dec-16 21:29:24

Annoying though I know.

OneWithTheForce Tue 27-Dec-16 21:29:40

Why it him?

Because that's who he is! You said yourself. Why would you expect him to be any different? And yes your MIL thanked your parents for both of them.

smartiecake Tue 27-Dec-16 21:30:06

I will just be quietly annoyed then

WellErrr Tue 27-Dec-16 21:33:55

Just silently seethe every time you see him. But say nothing.

It's the British way <nods>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now