Talk

Advanced search

How to correct someone correctly!

(33 Posts)
MarklahMarklah Tue 20-Dec-16 09:49:29

Trivial but one of those things that I'm in a minor quandary about.
We moved a couple of years ago. We are on good terms with neighbours on both sides, and have a passing acquaintance (nod when pass/say hello) with people opposite.
We exchange cards at Christmas with all of these people.
However, the people over the road have written DD's name completely incorrectly in the card they've given us. They've called her 'Trudy'. Her name is nothing like Trudy. The only similarity between the names is that they share one letter. Her name doesn't even start with a T.
I'm just about to put a card through their door.
Do I...
a) get their names wrong deliberately
b) just write it with our names in block capitals
c) enclose a line/note to say 'sorry to point this out, but you have DD's name wrong' or something to that effect?

DD got very upset when she saw the card. She's 5.

Nicnak2223 Tue 20-Dec-16 09:51:34

Just write your card normally with your names, they will realise.

Just explain to you DD that since people make mistakes.

MarklahMarklah Tue 20-Dec-16 10:17:28

Have a feeling I did that last year. Have told DD that, but she's not happy - she is one of those people who ALWAYS remembers names! smile

MidnightSheep Tue 20-Dec-16 10:23:00

She's 5 - she'll cope - it's a Christmas card nothing important!

Just sign it with your names (getting their names wrong is PA childishness)Just make sure to use her name in front of them whenever you see them - reinforce the right name in their minds.

girlelephant Tue 20-Dec-16 10:24:25

Write their card out correctly as it's clearly a genuine mistake

MarklahMarklah Tue 20-Dec-16 11:00:14

I know, it's a trivial issue. I don't really see them in the street to talk to much, it's usually I'm off one way and they're headed the other. I shan't be childish though and will address the card correctly.
I suspect we're only on their minds in terms of what we're called a xmas and they have the wrong name in their address book. It happens.

MarklahMarklah Tue 20-Dec-16 11:01:28

*at xmas

srslylikeomg Tue 20-Dec-16 11:01:28

This is why I don't send Christmas cards.

xStefx Tue 20-Dec-16 11:03:37

Obv an error, just sign your names correctly and they will know for next year.

SausageSoda Tue 20-Dec-16 11:08:46

Why would you purposely put the wrong names in a card for them? Just write the card with your correct names and their correct names and hope that the penny drops this year.

jeeperdoo Tue 20-Dec-16 20:26:05

You could also do something sort of gentle, like add something along the lines of: "Special message from Jenny, who is so proud of her name, as she has only recently perfected writing it out herself, who earnestly wonders if she can most politely teach you 'how to write it properly so it doesn't come out looking like Trudy'!"

Don't know about the recently part -- when do kids perfect writing out their own names? But something coming more as her correcting them (in that adorable proud way that kids do) rather than you correcting them might do the trick and be easier to finesse without awkwardness.

Also a bit smarmy, but if you like the neighbors well enough, and your daughter is upset enough, could be worth it. Also gives them an opening to let your daughter play the teacher, which might be great fun for her.

GinAndTeaForMe Tue 20-Dec-16 20:30:18

Is this Daphne?

MarklahMarklah Wed 21-Dec-16 12:18:30

I wrote the card to them ,with the correct names and a tiny note saying, "DD [Name] couldn't read your writing and though you'd called her Trudy'" with a smiley face.
jeeper that would have been great but she has been able to write her name since she was 4. Rest assured if they'd used the wrong name in conversation with her, she'd have corrected them. She LOVES to play at being the teacher, btw.

TeaBelle Wed 21-Dec-16 12:20:48

Your response was totally rude. Hope you aren't expecting a card at all next year.

titchy Wed 21-Dec-16 12:39:57

Gosh you were rude! And all your options were rude too.

Just sending them a normal card with your names on in normal writing would have been the correct thing to do.

srslylikeomg Wed 21-Dec-16 12:53:27

Just a guess... is your DD your first child OP? As the only people that have quite such an inflated view of their child's thoughts/wants/achievements are usually doing this for the first time. In fact your response is so perfectly entitled I'm wondering if this thread isn't a masterful wind up?? ;)

SausageSoda Wed 21-Dec-16 13:27:46

Your DD sounds quite precocious though I can see where she gets it from grin

LordVoldemortsMissingNose Wed 21-Dec-16 13:49:33

This is such a non problem. I was called Claire for 5 years at work by a certain colleague. My name is completely different, think along the lines of Emma. I am not traumatised. Is your daughter really bothered or are you?

GlitterGlassEye Wed 21-Dec-16 14:06:18

You're being absolutely ridiculous. Tell your daughter that people get mixed up sometimes. They'll see her name on the card you posted. Problem solved.

And if you knocked on my door & proceeded to 'teach' me how to write your daughters name, you'd get told to do one!hmm

PberryT Wed 21-Dec-16 14:07:42

😂 you are so precious.

jeeperdoo Wed 21-Dec-16 16:52:14

On the other side of it, though, if I'd been putting the wrong name on a holiday card to my across-the-street neighbor, I'd want to know!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 21-Dec-16 16:58:55

I can't quite believe you replied and made a comment about the wrong namefhmm

It would have been polite to just sign it with your correct names and hope at some point it clicked. I would have said that to your dd too, not pandered to her annoyance over it.

My ds2 is 12 and his Great Aunty still spells his name wrong. We don't care because we love her and wouldn't want to upset her by saying anything. Ds2 couldn't care less.

MarklahMarklah Thu 22-Dec-16 12:43:24

Oh dear, I obviously should've put 'lighthearted' in the original post.
Maybe a sense of humour ought to be on some folks' gift lists?

I think it is polite to get people's names right, but obviously it's not a big deal.

Redglitter Thu 22-Dec-16 12:47:17

The polite thing would have been to just send the card with your names on it. Your message was plain rude.

titchy Thu 22-Dec-16 17:48:50

Your op may have been intended lightheartedly but what you actually wrote in the card WAS incredibly ill mannered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now