Talk

Advanced search

WWYD with 11 kids at a "playdate"?

(22 Posts)
okilydokily Sat 17-Dec-16 08:23:30

I've somehow managed to invite 9 five year old boys over this afternoon, so with my DS and DD there will be 11 children. It's just for a couple of hours. Should I plan activities or just let them run riot?! I'm slightly nervous now. I've already decided that upstairs will be off limits, just so no-one accidentally falls down the stairs if they're all running up and down all afternoon. Any advice please??

BToperator Sat 17-Dec-16 08:26:47

Oh dear OP, what on earth possessed you?? grin Is there a nearby park you can kick them out into, it will be bedlam inside, unless you have a massive house!

gamerchick Sat 17-Dec-16 08:31:46

Somewhere outside grin

Mirandawest Sat 17-Dec-16 08:33:13

How did that manage to happen?

okilydokily Sat 17-Dec-16 08:33:24

We've got a big garden, luckily, so I might chuck them out there. I invited all the boys in the class, but didn't think they'd actually all be able to make it!! The girls in the class have regular get togethers, although perhaps not with 9 of them, so I thought it'd be nice to do something similar for the boys. But I don't imagine there's much point in setting up a craft activity or game for them? I think they'll just want to run around like nutcases..... If anyone has any bright ideas for keeping 11 kids amused, please feel free to share....!!

BigGreenOlives Sat 17-Dec-16 08:33:25

Playground or a big park within walking distance

INeedNewShoes Sat 17-Dec-16 08:34:26

I'd hire a big animal pen and stick them in there.

I would plan activities otherwise they'll be scattered causing separate scenes of mayhem everywhere.

BToperator Sat 17-Dec-16 08:35:55

Kick them out in the garden, give them a football, job done, if they are anything like my DS.

GlitterGlue Sat 17-Dec-16 08:37:01

God, as far away from home as possible.

Park with flasks of hot chocolate? Soft play if you're feeling flush.

JennyOnAPlate Sat 17-Dec-16 08:37:21

Yy to animal pen. Couple of big dog cages?

A couple of organised activities might be best, but whether they will be calm enough to actually partake is another matter grin

Is your garden big enough for a game of football?

Sometimespostingalwayslurking Sat 17-Dec-16 08:41:23

Two hours can get very long when you have this many kids around to entertain, speaking from experience but this was my son's birthday party. I would definitely plan some sort of activity, or at least for some of them.
Perhaps outdoor garden play to start with, then movie?

Dozer Sat 17-Dec-16 08:42:34

Bloody hell.

longdiling Sat 17-Dec-16 08:47:59

I bet out of those 9 there will be boys who would sit and do crafts. I would buy a pack of digestives and do some biscuit decorating. Most kids like that regardless of sex because they get to eat the end result. Google some simple Christmas crafts too. Treasure hunt in the garden? Water balloons if you can find some? Games like musical statues/musical bumps.

okilydokily Sat 17-Dec-16 08:48:42

I know, I know, bloody hell indeed!! DH is going to be here to help out so hopefully if we let them play football for a bit (the garden is big enough), they can then come in and just play with toys or watch a dvd (doubt they'll settle down to it though). At some point I'll throw some snacks at them. I'm struggling to think of an indoor activity for them that will be fun but not too messy. I'm fighting a losing battle, aren't I?

RubyWinterstorm Sat 17-Dec-16 08:50:03

Treasure hunt in the garden

Obstacle course (stopwatch: time them)

Movie for when it all falls apart

okilydokily Sat 17-Dec-16 08:52:29

Some fab ideas, thank you. Biscuit decorating and treasure hunt sound doable and fun. OK....feeling more confident now! Thanks v much. x

memyselfandaye Sat 17-Dec-16 08:53:14

Throw them in the garden with a can of Red Bull each and a load of Haribo, then send them back home. grin

Or could you organise a treasure hunt in the garden for sweets?

memyselfandaye Sat 17-Dec-16 08:53:38

X post.

longdiling Sat 17-Dec-16 08:54:43

There is always the good old standby of den building. If you have some battery operated fairy lights they could even decorate their dens!

okilydokily Sun 18-Dec-16 01:02:20

I survived. House is still intact. No-one went to A&E. Result! The boys played football, had sword fights in the garden, did a treasure hunt for sweets, decorated digestive biscuits, played musical statues and musical bumps, then finally just watched Power Rangers. And ate shitloads of crap. Two mum's brought me wine, so I'm pretty chuffed overall. Thanks for all the advice! x

INeedNewShoes Sun 18-Dec-16 01:08:45

Well-survived OP grin You're clearly still recovering though... still on the wine at 1am?

okilydokily Sun 18-Dec-16 01:12:19

Ha ha - sadly not. Just finished "the wrapping".....can't seem to switch my brain off!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now