Baby chipped her tooth

(5 Posts)
ChloeGiles Tue 29-Nov-16 21:58:31

My 10 month old daughter had her 4th tooth just starting to come through and she chipped it off on the side of the bath tub, I feel awful. Has anyone else's LO chipped their tooth, is it worth getting it looked at - the rest of the tooth hasn't come through yet so not much a dentist could do?

PinkyOrTank Tue 29-Nov-16 22:10:27

Don't be hard on yourself - loads of children have chips on their baby teeth if you look close enough.
My 9month old at the time ground her teeth terribly, and ground part of her front tooth off. I took her to a dentist as I was still BF and it hurt me! I was advised to gently use a sterile emery board to take sharp edge off.
It's still obvious to me, but no one else really notices, and it's just a baby tooth.
The grinding stopped after this episode thankfully!

liquidrevolution Tue 29-Nov-16 22:12:41

My 18mo DD went to the park with my DPs and came back with her front tooth badly chipped sad hmm. I sobbed for about an hour then got over it. Fortunately she is rather quirky looking so gets away with it. She also rarely smiles with her teeth on show or fully on sh.ow so not really noticeable. She is 2.5 now and I dont think anyone has mentioned it so clearly not something that is noticeable

You have to remember its a milk tooth not an adult one. A dentist friend said it may turn grey but this hasnt happened yet. It will also probably be the first tooth she loses when her big teeth come through.

I would get it looked at as it will reassure you and frankly its good for DC to get in the habit of seeing the dentist every 6 months. If its sharp it can be sanded down a bit (by hand no machinery) but my dentist said the sharp edges would wear down naturally, and they did smile.

ChloeGiles Tue 29-Nov-16 22:33:41

Thank you, once the rest of the tooth has come through I will consider gently using a Emery board or showing a dentist. Thank you for the reassurance 😊

danTDM Tue 29-Nov-16 22:37:55

Oh! This takes me back 6 years. I was so upset when DD did this. Looking back it was ridiculous, they all fall out and are replaced by higgledy piggledy new teeth, Don't fret smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now