Talk

Advanced search

Landlord expecting us to foot repairs

(13 Posts)
IJustWantABrew Tue 22-Nov-16 18:50:30

I've lived In a rented property for 1.5 years. The oven is built in and was part of the house when we moved in.
The oven has now broken and we called her to get it repaired/replaced. It's relatively old by the looks of it. She has said and I quote 'we are mean to expect her to repair it'. Am I wrong by thinking it's her oven, it's her responsibility. There is no mention in the contract that we are responsible for repairs.
She's then mentioned that the house next door to ours (identical to ours) is up for rent for £25 pm more- I assume her suggesting that we should be paying more.

IAmAPaleontologist Tue 22-Nov-16 19:03:09

Definitely her job to get done! Little things like light bulbs to change and stuff are your job of course but stuff like the oven if it is included, the boiler and so on are the ll's job.

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 22-Nov-16 20:54:30

Ridiculous - I am a LL - if it is wear and tear type broken down then LL replaces. If it was you smashing door with cricket bat you pay!

IJustWantABrew Tue 22-Nov-16 21:03:29

Thought as much! She said it to my partner and he was actually speechless.
If we had broken it it's fair enough, but for it to just break down it's one of those things.
In my contract it says I'm meant to ask permission before allowing a child to live in the property. She's going to have a shock when she realises we have a child grin

Comedyusername Tue 22-Nov-16 21:11:31

She's being unreasonable. We rent and the landlord pays for repairs like that.

We are also landlords and have paid for a new oven and washing machine in our flat. But double check your contract

OrangeSquashTallGlass Tue 22-Nov-16 21:12:24

The taps/plumbing corroded at a flat I rented a while ago. The managing agents came out to fix it but told me "it would cost me". When I argued the point they tried to 'reason' that I didn't rent anything inside the flat (bath/kitchen cupboards/etc) I only rented the 'space within the walls' (ie empty rooms' and that was why I had to pay for plumbing! I said that if that was the case is be taking the plumbing/bath/etc with me when I left and went and got my tenancy agreement to show them they were idiots wrong.

Long story short: what does it say in your tenancy agreement?

amammabear Tue 22-Nov-16 23:13:14

I've been a tenant and a landlord. A fitted oven is a fixture and fitting and should be covered. When we do ours, anything we're not willing to replace, isn't there! If we provide, we repair it- all if it's just reasonable wear and tear of course, damage by the tenant is their responsibility.

As an example, when I was a tenant, in one property we moved into the landlord said that the previous tenant had left their washer. If we wanted it, we could keep it, but if it broke that was our responsibility, he would remove it if we didn't want it. Of course we did have it, and it did break, we repair it, everything else, he sortedn

Joysmum Thu 24-Nov-16 08:57:26

As said above it's LLs responsibility. However beware, LL could get arsey and put up the rent (if that's allowable in the tenancy agreement) or serve a section 21when allowable to take back possession and then rent out at market value to tenants who are pushovers.

Herecomedanotherone Thu 24-Nov-16 09:01:21

Did you have a child before you began renting the property or have you given birth during the term of the tenancy?

Hellmouth Thu 24-Nov-16 09:05:59

Repairs - she is BU

I believe she can only ask for the rent to go up once a year, I believe, and I think it has to be at the end of the contract.

This - In my contract it says I'm meant to ask permission before allowing a child to live in the property. She's going to have a shock when she realises we have a child - YABU.

Joysmum Thu 24-Nov-16 13:17:45

I believe she can only ask for the rent to go up once a year, I believe, and I think it has to be at the end of the contract

Depends on what the tenancy agreement says.

PinkiePiesCupcakes Thu 24-Nov-16 13:22:17

So LL comes, sees child, evicts you immediately on the grounds that you have broken the tenancy contract, thus rendering it null and void.
I think you will be the one in shock.

IJustWantABrew Sat 26-Nov-16 15:46:09

She's got it sorted now smile.
We didn't even realise we needed to let her know we had the baby. Not really something I would have mentioned or even considered mentioning. It was only when we read the contract the other day that we realised.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now