Talk

Advanced search

Wedding Etiquette

(11 Posts)
mothersandsons Fri 28-Oct-16 08:48:42

Should a financially independent adult take an independent gift (to their parents one) OR is it acceptable for them not to take a gift because they are unmarried?

I would appreciate your opinions on this xx

Redken24 Fri 28-Oct-16 08:59:00

own gift x

Only1scoop Fri 28-Oct-16 09:01:11

Own gift

anotherdayanothersquabble Fri 28-Oct-16 09:03:50

I think a family gift could be OK if the family were invited together. If it was a separate invitation then a separate present would be appropriate.

oldlaundbooth Fri 28-Oct-16 09:06:09

Own gift. Cheap siblings would try for a 'joint' gift. Not marijuana BTW grin

MrsHathaway Fri 28-Oct-16 09:30:16

Own gift, definitely. If the financially independent adult gets an invitation (different from inviting eg babe in arms) then s/he has a close enough relationship to the bride and groom to pony up for a present, or should tactfully decline the invitation.

Doesn't have to be spendy but does have to be separate.

MrsHathaway Fri 28-Oct-16 09:30:49

And what the chuff does the guest's marital status have to do with the gift giving?

Only1scoop Fri 28-Oct-16 09:37:28

Also didn't get the marital status relevance?

museumum Fri 28-Oct-16 09:39:11

For a family wedding we might all chip in together for a larger item on the list.

mothersandsons Sat 29-Oct-16 10:50:38

Call it a generation gap... My mother believes that it would be acceptable for someone to pony onto their parents gift if the adult in question is unmarried.
I disagree and hence the need for an opinion pole

HardcoreLadyType Sat 29-Oct-16 10:52:41

If the independent person contributed, so that, together, they bought a larger gift, that would be fine.

Otherwise, own gift.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now