Talk

Advanced search

Property vs location

(1 Post)
Luv2chat2U Wed 26-Oct-16 14:38:09

Hi all, please help!

I have previously posted on here with a similar question so please accept my apologies for being slightly repetitive.

Okay here goes , I currently live in a council property in Highgate, North London in a three bed converted flat. The location, transport links and safety elements are great. I feel extremely fortunate that my children and I I live in such a desirable location and would love to have brought my property in the future.

However, the only negative and major is the impact living in a converted flat is having on my health. For several years I have suffered noise disturbance. From the moment my neighbours wake up to the moment they go to sleep I have to live through their daily routine and activity which consists of running jumping and stampeding caused by their children and their dog. Their lifestyle which consist of not working, not taking the children out or the dog is ruining my health and this set pattern doesn't seem to be changing any time soon. I have tried to empathise in that I understand we have a sound proofing issue and that children need to play but at the same time as a mother of three children I manage to talk to my children as I wouldn't want to inflict the same noise disturbance on my tenant who lives below me.

I have made numerous complaints to the local authority, environmental health and my neighbour, and the council have acknowledged their is an issue, but have refused to install sound installation.

They have instead agreed to move me for which i'm so grateful for. The positive is that it is a house meaning their is no one above and no one below however the negative is the location is in east London. Now I'm not saying that east London is all bad but (the surrounding area near to the house) appears to be a very run down and dirty) and the crime statistics higher.

If I was moving on my own I would just go because I'm so stressed all the time but as I have my kids to consider I worry more. I realise it's social housing and I'm not purchasing my own property so I don't want to come across snooty.

But my question to you is:

A. Would you gamble and take the house in East London and try and swap it in the near future. (In the hope that the house would be the bargaining power) I would really want to get back in to North London

B. Hold out and wait to see the next property (yes they agreed because of the structural fault I get another choice) my only concern is the second or third choice could be worse)

Or

C. If all fails stay in my current property and utilise its sought after location to swap. (The only thing I should mention is that I am currently and have been on home swap and so far while my property gains a lot of interest people have expressed their concerns of living beneath someone and therefore do not take the swap any further).

Apologies for the essay

And thanks in advance for your comments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now