Talk

Advanced search

Stick with cot or move to toddler bed?

(8 Posts)
Kel1234 Tue 25-Oct-16 16:29:03

My son is 13 and a half months old, and sleeping in a cot. However he has recently started trying to climb out of the cot. It is on the lowest height so lowering it more is not an option. It is only a cot, not a cot bed, so we will be getting him a toddler bed when the time comes. I know 18 months is the recommended age for them, however a few people have suggested getting him the bed now. He isn't walking yet, but the bed will be in our room for a while anyway, as we don't want him in his own room yet.
Any suggestions? What would you do? Stick to the cot for now or go for the bed?

JosephineMaynard Wed 26-Oct-16 14:49:07

I moved my DC out of cots and into low beds as soon as they started trying to climb out.
I was worried that they'd fall off the top of the cot and hurt themselves. It's quite a height from the top of a cot to the floor for a toddler.

Both of them fell out of bed a lot at first, as they were still wriggling around a lot in their sleep, so I used to put a doubled over duvet on the floor next to their beds to cushion any falls.

luckylucky24 Thu 27-Oct-16 20:40:09

I would get a bed. It is a long way to fall for a small child.

Redkite10a Thu 27-Oct-16 20:43:09

How restless a sleeper is he, is there a risk he'd fall out of a bed in the middle of the night? Is he in a sleeping bag, my otherwise into climbing everything else 21 month old still can't climb once he's in his bag?

kiki22 Sun 30-Oct-16 20:17:54

Get a low bed and a bed guard so he wont fall out and he will be fine.

Andcake Sun 30-Oct-16 20:31:59

Low bed...wouldn't waste money on a toddler bed just get a single one. We took side off cot and have the side with the bars as a bed guard and the other side as a seat where ds has toys and books.

Bagina Sun 30-Oct-16 20:37:16

Or just a mattress on the floor?

ChoudeBruxelles Sun 30-Oct-16 20:42:24

Ds was about 13 months when he went into a bed. I'd just buy a full size single rather than a toddler bed (they just seem a waste to me as you'll have to buy a proper bed soon enough) and get a bed guard to stop him rolling out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now