Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To bin or not to bin?

(29 Posts)
1DAD2KIDS Sat 15-Oct-16 17:05:25

Hello. I am single male lone parent and could really do with a female perspective of my provision of bins (or lack of). In my house I have two toilets/bathrooms. I current don't have bins in them. I sometimes have female guests/friends/relatives round. Now obviously sometimes females have waste products to depose of. I like to be a good host and I currently don't provide bins in my toilets. Is this bad form or OK? Would female visitors use them? I don't really want to provide bins as my little boy is 18 months old and into everything and its extra work for me. But the thought crossed my mind that I was failing my female guests and causing them a problems by not having them. So to bin or not to bin that is the question?

Heratnumber7 Sat 15-Oct-16 17:10:48

Well, if you don't want them flushing their tampons waste products down your toilet, I suggest you provide a bin, even if only when you have your lady guests.
What would you suggest they do with their tampons waste products otherwise?

Bigbiscuits Sat 15-Oct-16 17:17:33

I wouldn't bother. I can count on one hand the times I have had to dispose of Certain Waste Products in someone else's house and I am approaching menopause.

Heratnumber7 Sat 15-Oct-16 17:23:41

I was assuming the OPs lady friends stay overnight sometimes.
What do you do with your used towels/tampons Big, if you need to change them while visiting?

Bigbiscuits Sat 15-Oct-16 17:27:49

Oh, I was assuming these were day guests. blush

If overnight, I would put in plastic bag and in outside bin. I don't think I would ever put them in a friends household bin and expect them to dispose of it. How grim sad

Bigbiscuits Sat 15-Oct-16 17:31:10

And anyway .... If I was THAT SORT of overnight guest, then my host would probably be aware of my "current situation" and so could put a in out just in case. Or if we were on friendly terms, he could just ask me.

But I can't see why someone would need to put out bins I their specially on the off chance that a visiting woman would need to dispose of Certain Waste Products b

Bigbiscuits Sat 15-Oct-16 17:32:10

Too many typos to correct! But I think you get my drift.

mycatstares Sat 15-Oct-16 17:39:29

I'm intrigued now.

Op are these lady guests overnight guests or day guests?

I'd get a small bin anyway. It's handy to put empty loo roll ingrin.

Heratnumber7 Sat 15-Oct-16 17:54:28

I think men people need to get over the fact that women inconveniently bleed from between their legs sometimes, so that we don't need to deal with a normal bodily function that enables the human race to reproduce itself by skulking out to the outside bin with tampons Certain Waste Products hidden in plastic bags.

Heratnumber7 Sat 15-Oct-16 17:55:45

getting a bit carried away with the crossing out thing blush

1DAD2KIDS Sat 15-Oct-16 17:57:29

I has been known on the odd occasion to have a lady friend stay over. But boringly it is once in a blue moon I get the house to my self. The kids are always here and on the rare occasion they go to their mums I am often working anyway. But I do have close friends, friends of the family and relatives over often for a pot of tea and a chat etc.

I thought that may be some people would be too shy to use a bin if I put one in if that makes sense? On the other hand I don't want people thinking I am a rubbish host. I must genuinely admit in my naivety that I don't know if its the norm to use someone's bin or wrap up the waste and dispose of it them self? Personally it don't bother me. I am not squeamish and perfectly capable of handling things in a hygienic manor.

The toilet rolls get removed straight away to add to our art and craft supplies (cant get enough of them).

1DAD2KIDS Sat 15-Oct-16 18:00:29

Heratnumber7 I have no issue over body functions. It does not bother me in the slightest. What I am bothered about is providing solutions for my guests. As I am not in need of such facilities I am trying to understand what is best for them that are.

everythingis Sat 15-Oct-16 18:00:37

Tiny bin with lid - no lid no privacy!

Heratnumber7 Sat 15-Oct-16 18:02:26

Wasn't getting at you specifically 1DAD. Just people in general.

1DAD2KIDS Sat 15-Oct-16 18:05:52

No I know that. Some men are still a bit squeamish about the whole thing. And to be fair the sensibilities about these things lay with individual women for many reasons too. It not just men where this taboo lies. I just want guests to feel comfortable. Also I think its fair to respect peoples sensibilities within reason.

AnnieOnnieMouse Sat 15-Oct-16 18:09:52

Teeny tiny bin on a shelf or worktop, maybe?

Out2pasture Sat 15-Oct-16 18:10:59

Toilet rolls go to recycle.
Tampons are flushable where I come from (Canada).
Snotty or toilet paper with excess makeup can easily be portered to the main kitchen bin ( small home) or flushed the next time the toilet is used.
I would however purchase a suitable bin with plastic liner to have occasionally available.
I too am an older female, I've never left a used sanitary product lurking for someone else to deal with. In my 30+ years as a homeowner only once has a used product been left in a bathroom bin (teenage friend of my daughter).
With a toddler in the house I'm sure everyone understands the issue.

user1470140070 Sat 15-Oct-16 19:49:38

Wasn't this question asked very recently?

1DAD2KIDS Sat 15-Oct-16 20:20:04

Maybe can I try this from a slightly different angle.

How many people would expect there to be a bin in the toilet when they visit someone's house?

Spam88 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:25:55

I really hate when there's no bin available when I need it, it's pretty unpleasant having to sneak used sanitary products out of the loo and stash them away in my bag until I have access to a bin.

So I vote for getting a bin.

Heratnumber7 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:49:18

Bin. Please.

Guiltypleasures001 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:53:34

I vote bin and a small box of scented nappy sacks as well wink

jazzandh Sat 15-Oct-16 20:55:37

A roll/box of nappy bags or sanitary bags works quite well. Then the used bag can be binned wherever is easiest.

StinasChoice Sun 16-Oct-16 04:36:39

Why do I find this post so amusing? That a grown man has taken time to sit down and ask on a Mums forum whether to get a bin or not in the bathroom grin

I've had toddlers - more than one at the same time, and I've always had 2 bathrooms and small lidded bins are a MUST, and I can say hand on heart that my toddlers / kids have never gone in to the bins.

Just lolling a bit more at this thread. wink

1DAD2KIDS Sun 16-Oct-16 18:14:57

Well it's not surprising to me to be a grown man asking.

Because of my ex wife's contraception we have very little need for such facilities. On the occasional time we did she would either carry the waste out and put in the bin or sometimes flush it down (don't tell the water company). Not being a user I had a fair idea what most women do but not 100% sure. I may be a man of the world but most people keep stum in relation to this subject.

So what can I do?

I have never looked in other people's houses for said bins. I have no intention of sniffing through them to check if there used.

I can hardly storm in to work one day a say "hey ladies, how do you get rid of your sanitary products"? People would think I was all shades of wierdo and probably put me a stones throw away from a register.

And it's definitely not a chat a grown man wants to have with his mum.

So where do I go. The internet of course. It knows everything and is also full of cute kitten photos.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now