Talk

Advanced search

Name at uni

(10 Posts)
Kel1234 Thu 13-Oct-16 10:29:39

Long story short, I'm just looking for opinions, which I realise will vary due to the wide array of opinions on marriage and name change after marriage.
I completed my first year of uni in my maiden name. I took a break to have my baby, during which time I also got married, and when I did so I took my husbands name as I'm very traditional.
I went back to uni this year, and of course I changed my name so it's all in my married name. This means I will also graduate in my married name, which to me wasn't a problem.
I told a friend of mine, who said personally they thought I should have kept my maiden name at uni so I graduate using that name, because my degree is mine, and I started it in that name so I should finish it in it.
I never even considered it as to me my married name is my name now for all intents and purposes, and I haven't used my maiden name since I got married.
Opinions on this?

Mozfan1 Thu 13-Oct-16 10:44:00

Your maiden name isn't your name anymore if you have changed it so there's no reason to finish your degree with that name.

6demandingchildren Fri 14-Oct-16 07:43:59

Does it matter what name you used. You are awesome so just carry on

Ilovewillow Fri 14-Oct-16 07:48:20

Your degree and the work you put into it will be "yours" whatever name you use. You have chosen to take your husband's surname so it is now your name! What's important a is that you doing the degree - awesome!

HereIAm20 Fri 14-Oct-16 16:29:24

Its your name now. My LPC certificate is in my exH name because I reverted to maiden name and then remarried. Sometimes I wish it was just in my maiden name but at the time I finished the LPC it was my name (and I did not expect to get divorced). It is what it is and it will always be yours whatever name it is in.

melibu84 Fri 14-Oct-16 16:31:38

I think your friend is being silly.

Sorry, that's the extent of my opinion :D

juneau Fri 14-Oct-16 16:33:57

You're married now - if you want to take your DH's name that's no one business but yours. I can understand keeping your name, if you had wanted to do so. Many women do and its more accepted and 'normal' all the time. However, you chose to change it and your 'friend' should butt out. Congratulations on your marriage flowers

AmeliaJack Fri 14-Oct-16 16:37:32

Your degree doesn't "belong" to your husband just because you now share his name any more than it "belonged" to your Dad because you shared his name.

Your friend has a very odd attitude.

BarInSpace Sat 15-Oct-16 12:29:09

Your name is no-one else's business. It will still be you who completes the degree, just as it's you who started it. You could change your name by deed poll to Dustbin Chimney and you'd still be you.

JoJoSM2 Sat 15-Oct-16 19:46:12

Your friend is weird.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now