Talk

Advanced search

Tooth abscess thoughts

(10 Posts)
Madlizzy Sun 09-Oct-16 16:13:32

Say you had a recurrent abscess in your tooth, of which there is only half left and the filling was removed at an emergency appointment to allow it to drain, with a warning to get the tooth pulled asap. You don't have a dentist as yours went private, you're not entitled to free dental treatment, yet you can't afford another appointment to get it pulled. How the feck would you get this sorted as it's driving me insane.

Monkeyfeet12 Sun 09-Oct-16 16:16:34

Ring 111. Get an emergency NHS appt. Pay £53.90 and get it extracted? Cheapest option.

Madlizzy Sun 09-Oct-16 16:22:02

Monkey, I don't have that sort of funds. Only have enough money to keep me in food for the month.

Monkeyfeet12 Sun 09-Oct-16 16:24:42

Get a prescription for antibiotics to put you on a bit then?

user1471537877 Mon 10-Oct-16 08:11:56

Hi op

Don't panic too much, I've been sat with 2 abscesses for 6 months with full knowledge of my dentist

One is a failed root canal , the other a tooth partially opened by the dentist but unable to complete due to incomplete block

I am currently waiting for Iv extraction as I don't block properly with local anaesthetic and there is a year waiting list in my area

Talk to your dentist, see what help they can give you and try not to worry too much

As for me, my wait is over at 4.30 today shock

Madlizzy Mon 10-Oct-16 20:15:17

Thanks both. I think I'll have to sit it out till payday and get an emergency appointment then. It's a nightmare not having my own dentist! It fills, gets painful, I kill it with hot salt water washes and suction on it (ew, that's minging when it fills your mouth), it settles for a few days and so the cycle begins again.

user1475061403 Thu 13-Oct-16 20:46:19

I had this issue and the oddest thing that cured it was a tea bag used one.
I have a phobia and I read up on it and bingo it worked! May not work first night but second day it was gone 💐

seriouslyclueless Thu 13-Oct-16 20:55:49

Toothache is just the worst thing. Massive sympathies.
Could you take a pay day loan just enough to get the extraction ?

BusStopBetty Thu 13-Oct-16 21:07:45

Are there definitely no NHS dentists anywhere near you or dental access centres? There is some info here about finding one. www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/dentists/Pages/find-an-NHS-dentist.aspx Are you able to say roughly where you live?

I would double check they will remove a tooth as am emergency appointment before you make an appointment.

If you can registered and see a dentist they should charge only the £53 for the extraction and a standard appointment. I think they also do up to four filings for that price so better if you can register instead of having it done as an emergency.

weegiemum Thu 13-Oct-16 22:48:18

I've got ridiculous health care phobias.
In my case I let 3 teeth rot in my jaws in agony with the aforesaid self-drainage for, I kid you not, 10 years. Then, I needed to go as an example to my dc. I had all the tooth fragments and infection removed. We Mo ed house and I e not been to the dentist from r 7 more years, but I.m meticulous about brushing etc.
My dd2 sees the orthodontist monthly and (I have to admit) he's lovely. I take her (has to be me, I'm a student/sahm, dh works over
An hour away). I end up with the inside of my mouth bleeding as I chew it under pressure and the orthodontist has told me to see my own dentist as he can hear me grinding my teeth while I wait!
I've not gone, of course. But dd2 is getting on grwT with her braces and not in pain. Neither am I. I might try to o welcome my dental phobia sometime but for me it's not just dentist, it's nurses, GPS, opticians - anything healthcare. Ironically, I'm married to a GP and have a long term neurological illness that means I have to go to hospital for an IV treatment once a month - that takes up all my healthcare energy.
We moved house 4 years ado and my teenage dc like the new dentist. I might try to go soon. Maybe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now