Talk

Advanced search

Include unrelated qualification on job application?

(9 Posts)
PregnantAndEngaged Sat 08-Oct-16 16:50:27

Bit of background: I studied A levels Sociology, Psychology and Health & Social Care. I applied for nursing at university but backed out as did not feel mature enough to deal with some of the things I would see and wasn't sure I'd cope with blood etc. In the end I decided to do law as I always had an interest in it and felt I'd be better suited to that type of job. Anyway I completed my law degree and I even went on and did the Legal Practice Course (completed in early 2015, although I fell pregnant during the course so haven't gone on to do any law work), did very well indeed on both. However I've since had a baby and I feel I've changed as a person and matured and now really regret not pursuing going into a caring profession. I work in a bank dealing with vulnerable customers at the moment and I'm considering applying for a job as an emergency call handler. I think I'd be suited to it and feel I could handle the pressure of it as well as the emotional impact some of those calls may have.

I want to do a job that I feel is going to help people and make a real difference to their lives rather than dealing with intangible or impersonal things such as money or property. However I worry how it may look if I include my law qualifications on the application.

On the other hand, it could be a good thing to show I can work under pressure and I could discuss on my application that I have grown as a person and my personal ambitions have changed (not sure if that's a good idea or not).

starfishmummy Sat 08-Oct-16 16:53:58

You should include it or there will be a gap which will either rule you out at the first sift or that you will need to explain.

PregnantAndEngaged Sat 08-Oct-16 16:58:38

I will probably put the law degree down for that reason, but I was wondering if I leave the Legal practice course off.. I was working at the time so there's no gap. However it could work to my strengths as it takes a lot work and study at the same time and it was a stressful course.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sat 08-Oct-16 17:02:29

I'd still list it, showing you can study and work at the same time is good. Just list it though, not in a prominent position and no supplementary information. I've just looked at a CV which was full of totally irrelevant stuff in great detail but with the relevant qualification as a one-liner on page 2, not good.

lougle Sat 08-Oct-16 17:03:10

Include it all.

EssentialHummus Sat 08-Oct-16 17:03:42

I moonlight as a CV writer. I'd leave it off if you were my client - there's no gap as you were working, and including it detracts from more relevant content.

PregnantAndEngaged Sat 08-Oct-16 17:05:52

Just to note it is an application form rather than CV so I don't really have control over position; it may therefore show at the top due to being the last thing I did educationally. I take it I'm still better off listing it though ?

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Sat 08-Oct-16 17:14:47

I would definitely include it. It's not irrelevant, it shows transferable skills. I'm sure that a lot of people make the decision to apply to be an emergency call handler later in life, I would imagine that they go through applications from people from all different walks of life.

eurochick Sat 08-Oct-16 17:27:29

The lpc teaches things like interviewing skills and negotiation, as well as how to communicate clearly - all good transferable skills.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now