Talk

Advanced search

My haircut and dh

(15 Posts)
handsfree Sat 01-Oct-16 18:47:27

A few months ago I decided to try getting a fringe as I've had the same hairstyle forever and I wanted to try something new.

DH does not like fringes in general for no particular reason. I knew this before I had it done, but I figured he'd get used to it and anyway, I might not like it and get rid of it anyway.

It turns out I love it, I think it really suits me and I've had lots of compliments on it.

This was about 6 months ago now. Dh was very complimentary when I had it done and he hasn't really mentioned it since so I thought who knows, perhaps he thinks it looks ok. Then yesterday I mentioned I needed to go and get it trimmed and he made a comment about growing it out instead, which then lead in to him admitting that he still didn't like it.

So wwyd?! He's never made me feel bad about it or asked me to get rid or anything, but it feels a bit rubbish knowing that my husband really doesn't like my hair. The problem being of course that I love my hair! And yes I know its up to me but I feel I do also need to consider dhs opinion.....

Thattimeofyearagain Sat 01-Oct-16 18:48:43

Your hair your decision.

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Sat 01-Oct-16 18:49:01

Sounds like all the compliments you have been getting have made him a bit green-eyed. Get it trimmed.
He needs to get a grip!

SwedishEdith Sat 01-Oct-16 18:50:22

I wouldn't do anything. You love your fringe so keep it.

pugsake Sat 01-Oct-16 18:50:51

DH doesn't like a pair of my trousers so I wear them all the time grin

Thinking about it he has a beard because I like it so I suppose it works both ways in a relationship.

If DH really didn't like something as Semi permanent as a hair colour/style I would probably change it.

areyoubeingserviced Sat 01-Oct-16 18:51:38

He is jealous
You like it, so keep it

bloodyteenagers Sat 01-Oct-16 18:52:12

No you really don't need to consider his opinion. It's your hair, so it is your choice. Same with any tattoos and piercing you may want. Same with any surgery. Same with the clothes you wear.

If he doesn't like fringes then he is free to choose to be fringe free.

Aderyn2016 Sat 01-Oct-16 18:52:19

I am genuinely torn. On balance I think you should stick with what you like but in my heart of hearts I know that if dh grew a beard I would want him to get rid because I really don't find them attractive.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 01-Oct-16 18:55:40

The beard thing is quite comparable. I don't want Dh to have one so he doesn't. If he didn't like my fringe, I'd change it.

bloodyteenagers Sat 01-Oct-16 18:56:47

Beards, I have the same stance. His face, his beard. I might not like them, but it's not my choice.
Same with if I shave various body parts or not. My choice. They can have an opinion, on my legs, pits and lady garden, but ultimately it's all mine.

whattheseithakasmean Sat 01-Oct-16 18:57:07

I don't know why everyone is saying he is jealous, I would assume he just doesn't like fringes - why always jump to think the worst of people?

Of course, it is up to you, but at the same time, I want my DH to find me attractive so his opinion would at least slightly influence my style choices. It depends how much you love your fringe, but they are easy to cut back in, so you could grow it out for a bit and then decide which you really prefer. It is nice to change your hairstyle every now and then, in any case.

EnidColeslaw771 Sat 01-Oct-16 18:59:51

My dh wasn't a huge fan when I shaved my head. So what! He's also aware I don't exist for him to look at so it's really up to me how I have my hair. I don't dictate to him what he should look like either, it all seems a bit shallow tbh.

RockinHippy Sat 01-Oct-16 19:05:27

The jealousy comments are IMHO a bit weirdconfused

I'm in the camp of your hair, your choice, but then I would also respect my DHs choice on occasions he decides to wear anything I don't like either, including various facial hair experiments. It doesn't change who he is or why I love him, though tbh, he is more likely to change if I say I don't like something, than I am, so I tend to keep quiet unless asked.

Just let him know that you love it & that you hope that he lives you enough to respect your choices as you would his - IF you don't/wouldn't cut him the same slack, then maybe you need to rethink keeping your fringe

PhilomenaCatLover Sat 01-Oct-16 19:38:44

TBH, it's a bit like men's facial hair - would he keep/shave off a beard because you didn't fancy it?

Also I got bangs a few years ago and my DH loved it! I found them annoying. Grew them out. Tried again this year because he really loves the look on me. Still annoying. Sorry DH.

EdithWeston Sat 01-Oct-16 19:58:18

He doesn't like fringes; he still doesn't like fringes; but he isn't making a big deal about it - only mentioning his opinion when you ask him.

It's totally up to you whether you keep it - because you like it - or change it - because you like to look the way your DH likes. Because he's not pressuring you. He's just telling you what he thinks, but only when you ask. Now you might prefer a white lie, but that doesn't mean you'll get them all the time.

Unless he's been gratuitously nasty about it, or treats you less well depending on your looks, this is something to just let wash over you. Because a perfect match of aesthetic preferences isn't terribly likely to come about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now