Talk

Advanced search

Property vs location. Highgate or angel Islington, Top floor flat or ground floor

(7 Posts)
Luv2chat2U Fri 23-Sep-16 09:12:40

Hi all,

Please help with my question.

What would appeal more to you. What would you do?

I've seen a lovely property in Highgate n6 which is on one level in a converted flat in a mansion style block. I would have someone living above, a family with children and a dog.

However

I have also viewed a property in angel Islington a Georgian flat set over 2 levels, with no one above. Only one person in the basement.

I know Highgate is a beautiful sought after location but not sure about angel Islington.

Both properties are nice with its own individual character, however I'm drawn more to the angel property as it feels more like a house and the Highgate property more for the location.

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Fri 23-Sep-16 11:11:48

In principle I'd always prefer to have no one above, but in principle I'd also prioritise location.

In the case of a flat though, my top priority would be share of the freehold or terms of the lease and the whole maintenance situation with regard to responsibilities, costs and current financial situation.

AdaLovelacesCat Fri 23-Sep-16 11:13:10

I would choose the one in the Angel.
It is more central and you will nobody above you.

Inthepalemoonlight Fri 23-Sep-16 11:14:15

I'd go for the better property as long as both locations were good, not the better location.

Ineededtonamechange Fri 23-Sep-16 11:15:40

I'd move to Angel Islington without a doubt. Lovely area, lots to do, more accessible than Highgate, split level gives it more longevity.

I'd love to live there.

EssentialHummus Fri 23-Sep-16 11:23:19

I think they are both fab areas. I'd look carefully at things like school catchments (if that's going to affect you), service charge, commute (though both are on the same line, Angel will have more buses etc). There are areas of Islington that are still a bit rough not least where old Jeremy lives so have a walk around the neighbourhood and get a sense of what it's like if you haven't yet.

Flats themselves? Georgian split-level sounds a much better option. I have a two-storey flat and it does feel like a house.

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Fri 23-Sep-16 13:35:57

Forget my earlier advice as have just seen all your other threads OP and now see it's a Council or HA transfer and not a purchasing situation with all the complexities I mentioned before.

You already live in Highgate, so obviously know the area well and you have major issues with disturbance from noise, so all you have to do is compare the benefits of having no one living above you and having a split level flat, with the possibility that its exact location in Angel might be busiere and noisier. Of course, you could always be disturbed by noise from below or either side depending on the other occupants. Only you can know that really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now