5th birthday party

(21 Posts)
cockadoodledoooo Thu 08-Sep-16 22:02:57

My daughter is turning 5 and she wants to invite her whole new class.
Now I'm no glutton for punishment and refuse to herd, what could potentially be 35 kids, around my house or village hall. So my questions to you all are:

1. what entertainment would you hire? That is not to expensive and does not make me appear competitive or flashy!

2. If it was between 2-4.30 what food would you provide/expect?

3. How do I ensure we don't end up with a house full of duplicate presents? Without being offensive!

She has only been to few small birthday party before and I am completely out of my depth!

cockadoodledoooo Thu 08-Sep-16 22:05:05

Should I also cater for parents?

Lapinlapin Thu 08-Sep-16 22:07:15

Bouncy castle in a village hall is popular. I'd only make the party last 2 hours though - think that's plenty! Personally I'd still do sandwiches and cake type party food, but wouldn't expect it.

It wouldn't cross my mind to worry about duplicate presents. If she got some I'd either probably give them to charity /re-gift etc. I'd find any hints / comments about what to buy v grabby tbh.

TenThousandSpoons Thu 08-Sep-16 22:08:05

1. Bouncy castle and/or an entertainer person who does music and games
2. Not a meal time so small snack box with a juice carton, crisps and couple of treats? I prefer to do it 11-1 and provide lunch or 4-6 and do a party tea.
3. No way to do this without sounding rude. Just let people bring whatever presents they choose and if there are any doubles you just keep them to re-gift to someone else - put away in a drawer with a post-it note of who it was from so you don't re-gift to them or in front of them!

girlsyearapart Thu 08-Sep-16 22:12:10

We have asked for money before as haven't physically got the space for 4 lots of stuff when they each have a party.
It was something like X is saving up to go and do Y activity or buy Z thing and would love a shiny coin to put in her money box.
Some people still brought actual presents but nowhere near the usual 35 bead sets we had before..

cockadoodledoooo Thu 08-Sep-16 22:14:36

My SIL once requested money or vouchers for her dc party gift and it was not well received!

As we are new to the area and dd is new to school life I just want her to have a great party so we can get to know the other kids and parents (and hope she then gets invited to parties and makes friends!). I have heard many shitty comments regarding entertainment etc and parents trying to hard etc from friends in the past, so I am totally overthinking it!

cockadoodledoooo Thu 08-Sep-16 22:15:44

Girlsyearapart - were people bothered that you asked for money?

RatOnnaStick Thu 08-Sep-16 22:17:13

Pretty much exactly what Tenthousandspoons said, except from experience, all kids I know expect a ham or cheese sandwich at the party tea regardless of the time.

Don't get complicated. Bouncy castle or disco or entertainer and tea fills 2 hours nicely.

girlsyearapart Thu 08-Sep-16 22:17:21

Forgot to answer your other questions.
I have made cups of tea and scones for parents who stay. Not necessary though.

Have had a pirate and princess entertainer double act, a bouncy castle, biscuit decorating, party games, a clown/ magician/ balloon model person, a nail painting/ glitter tattoo/ face painting station.

Not all at the same party just all the ones for any of my lot at that age!
Jugs of juice, crisps, biscuits and cake. It's not a meal time

girlsyearapart Thu 08-Sep-16 22:19:36

No not at all. We have done it twice now. This year is the first year the older two haven't had a joint party so we have honestly had years where they have had over 60 kids each bringing a massive box present and it was overwhelming!

AnneGables Thu 08-Sep-16 22:20:34

Ds has just finished reception and went to lots of class parties last year. Things that worked well:

2hr time slot max
Good entertainer doing games (bouncy castle ones all ended in tears)
Lots of balloons, kept those not wanting to do games entertained
Hot drinks and slice of cake for adults
Usual party food, nothing fancy
Ice cream van at the end was amazing and got everyone to leave quickly

seven201 Thu 08-Sep-16 22:24:46

If you're new to the area and looking to make friends definitely don't ask for money!! You would be gossiped about. Just accept the duplicate gifts with good grade and re-gift later.

cockadoodledoooo Thu 08-Sep-16 22:27:35

I was considering either a magician or bouncy castle and a face painter in the village hall. I would probably need two bouncy castles for 30+ kids though wouldn't I?!

Oh and then of course there are the party bags to consider. Do ppl still expect those?!

AnneGables Thu 08-Sep-16 22:30:39

Yes sorry, ds loves party bags. Although we recently went to one that did a pick and mix table instead, you should have seen the eyes lighting up grin

girlsyearapart Thu 08-Sep-16 22:33:25

Yeah the money thing not so good if you're new to the area I guess..
We have done books from the book people as 'party bags' before you can get big packs where they work out at around £1 each

Buttercupsandaisies Thu 08-Sep-16 22:35:49

Defo do lunch type food regardless of time - i think most parents and kids expect it. I've never been to a party without sandwiches or similar and DD is 11 so been to plenty!

Keep entertainment simple

Coffee biscuits fine for adults

Do not request any kind of present or money - several parents at school did this, thought it was fine and well received etc- I heard the playground talk and trust me it's not looked on favourably! Just regift at the endless parties you'll be invited too

Buttercupsandaisies Thu 08-Sep-16 22:37:01

I'd get party bags. As much as Mn like books, nice toys, plant pots and seeds etc most kids I find hate all that and want the cheap tat and sweets so don't overthink it!

TenThousandSpoons Thu 08-Sep-16 22:45:45

Yep, cheap tat and sweets for party bags. That's what the kids want. Plus it's the universal symbol for "Time to go home now" so you can't not do party bags! They would mdber leave grin

TenThousandSpoons Thu 08-Sep-16 22:45:58

*never leave

RockinHippy Thu 08-Sep-16 23:02:12

1. what entertainment would you hire? That is not to expensive and does not make me appear competitive or flashy! - Definitely a Bouncy Castle - use different coloured hair ties around wrists to manage the numbers of kids going on at any one time, avoids a mad scrum & injuries - keep others occupied with lots of balloons & bubbles - have a few wind down games such as pass the parcel & sleeping fish right at the end

2. If it was between 2-4.30 what food would you provide/expect? - mini pizza slices, mini sandwiches, cucumber/carrot/pepper sticks/Hummus etc, tangerine peices, straberries etc - basically kiddie finger foods - all doable yourself without too much hassle - I agree 2 hours is enough

3. How do I ensure we don't end up with a house full of duplicate presents? Without being offensive! difficult one, but maybe something like, "please don't feel obliged to bring a gift, but if you really want to DD would be very happy to recieve a coin or 2 in her card

I wouldn't bother with party bags, too much stress & you always end up with too many of occasionally too few - have a big pinatta, if you are crafty at all make a big balloon one & get your kids decorating it - fill it with all the usual part bag tat, plenty of sweets & balloons, sequins, streamers for effect etc - give all the DCs a bag or bowl & let them play Piñata & fill their own party bags - keep a few goodies back to give to any little ones who don't do so well in a scrum

She has only been to few small birthday party before and I am completely out of my depth! - just relax & enjoy, its easy & its fun, honest

We always provided a few adult height nibbles & small bottles of beer & a few cartons of wine - this encouraged parents to hang around, which is always good if you have a lot of little ones & not much help

Buttercupsandaisies Fri 09-Sep-16 18:58:32

It doesn't matter how politely you word that coin comment in an invite - it would go down like a lead balloon with many parents - honestly I've seen it several times

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now