Dd doing 'never let me go' in English

(3 Posts)
welliesandsequins Thu 08-Sep-16 10:43:32

Dd(14) came home from school yesterday saying they were doing 'Never let me go' in English. Fab. It's a great and thought provoking book. The issue being that I have recently had a transplant.
I made the mistake of reading the book while I was on the transplant list and found it quite upsetting.
She isn't a particularly sensitive child, and I could well be projecting my feelings on to her. I have discussed it with her, how I felt when I was reading it and obviously that I/she had to remember the book wasn't real.
But I think it is fairly likely that it will lead on to discussions about the ethics of transplants etc.
I am tempted to just email her English teacher and make her aware of the situation. Am I being overly worried or protective?

turtlesallthewaydown Thu 08-Sep-16 11:00:16

You might be projecting onto your daughter but there's no harm in just making the teacher aware so she can react appropriately should your daughter find it difficult during class discussions etc.

missmillimentscardigan Thu 08-Sep-16 11:08:28

It's a great book, but I'm surprised it's being taught to 14 year olds. I would have thought it was more suitable for A-Level . I imagine they're just doing extracts.
I can see how it could have been quite difficult reading for you, op. Hope you are well now. You could drop a quick email to her English teacher, just so they're aware of a potential issue, if you feel comfortable doing that, but I probably wouldn't mention it in the context of your own transplant to your daughter unless she does.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now