Talk

Advanced search

What to buy our male colleague for new baby?

(35 Posts)
tararabumdeay Wed 07-Sep-16 19:49:26

It's a girl. His lovely DP is not a first time parent but he is.

We're going to club together. I'm aiming at 50 quid.
What should we get for all of them but a new Dad thing too?

I've only been a Mum in this situation so endless babygros were much appreciated.

I'm going to buy a newspaper and The Beano on the day she is born but an 'emergency Dad's hamper' doesn't quite cut it.

daisydalrymple Wed 07-Sep-16 20:04:11

I'd go with vouchers everytime for work collections. Really appreciated when I've received them, they can choose what they need that way and avoid getting duplicates or too many of one thing in the same sizes.

You could always get a small gift alongside, so say £40 vouchers, then a classic board book for him to do bedtime stories or something. And a big box of chocolates / biscuits for the parents jointly?

StealthPolarBear Wed 07-Sep-16 20:06:34

Vouchers and cute baby gros in 6-9

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Wed 07-Sep-16 20:07:39

I have never worked anywhere that did a gift for the father - only ever for the mother. is this a common thing now?

TheHubblesWindscreenWipers Wed 07-Sep-16 20:08:36

A changing bag that's not hideous pink/girly?

Vouchers plus a small token gift like a picture frame ?

StealthPolarBear Wed 07-Sep-16 20:09:25

Li via if you have a colleague who is about to become a dad do you really not make a fuss?

JohnLapsleyParlabane Wed 07-Sep-16 20:09:51

My husbands work sent us flowers and Next vouchers when our baby was born.

JenLindleyShitMom Wed 07-Sep-16 20:09:52

Dads can put babygros on their babies too. They'll be just as useful as if you were handing them to the mother.

TheHubblesWindscreenWipers Wed 07-Sep-16 20:10:08

I have never worked anywhere that did a gift for the father - only ever for the mother. is this a common thing now?

For first timers yes. A parent is a parent.... Many dads where I live (Sweden) take the bulk of the parental leave. They are seen as equal partners in the whole thing.

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Wed 07-Sep-16 20:10:26

Me ex worked for a big car company when our ds x3 were born and we got loads!! Maybe a man style changing bag? The one we had for our pram was a big feminine so bough dh a man bag!!

NerrSnerr Wed 07-Sep-16 20:10:54

We got vouchers, a baby book, a teddy and some vests from my husband's work. Just get a normal baby gift.

Allalonenow Wed 07-Sep-16 20:12:18

A train set of course! grin

NerrSnerr Wed 07-Sep-16 20:12:29

I wouldn't get a changing bag though as I would think that's a personal choice. We never bothered and just used handbags or rucksacks like quite a few people I know.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Wed 07-Sep-16 20:12:36

I usually make a gift which costs me personally quite a lot of money but no, people get pissed off about collections for every event and they only contribute to a pregnant woman because they feel duty bound to. At one point we had four women leaving a small workplace within a few weeks plus two guys becoming fathers soon after. So the chances of getting them to contribute to an collection for a father is minimal.

StealthPolarBear Wed 07-Sep-16 20:13:00

Dhs work bought a dress for baby dd.
And I'm starting to think that I work in the most family friendly place ever!

mummybear1985 Wed 07-Sep-16 20:14:20

Some vouchers for babies r us / John Lewis / Next / Mothercare and some nice flowers or chocs

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Wed 07-Sep-16 20:19:35

Our collections are compulsory though so that doesn't help! so you have to give a certain amount for birthdays, leaving, moving departments ( even when they will be coming back in a couple of months) and maternity. - whether you know/like the recipient or not. It gets ridiculous, and I think they consider a gift for the father as a step too far

tararabumdeay Wed 07-Sep-16 20:21:00

Thank you for the replies. A man changing bag sounds like a good idea.
Oh, sorry, just thinking about my life and my ideal magical bag.

tararabumdeay Wed 07-Sep-16 20:26:33

Thank you all. It seems like vouchers for the new family, flowers, chocolates and a card are the most appropriate gifts.

EddieStobbart Wed 07-Sep-16 20:34:09

Our office always did a collection for a new baby (more men in office so more frequently it was for a man). Was usually spent on John Lewis vouchers. That's what I liked more than anything else.

EddieStobbart Wed 07-Sep-16 20:35:21

I am curious about the idea that only mothers would need a present, surely it's a nice gesture to welcome the baby?

NapQueen Wed 07-Sep-16 20:36:58

www.amazon.co.uk/My-Dad-Used-Be-Cool/dp/190926394X

I saw this in a shop the other day and it's lovely! I'd recommend.

HonniBee Wed 07-Sep-16 20:39:25

For a small gift to go with vouchers (and depending on the type of guy he is), this is cute:

www.amazon.co.uk/Because-Your-Dad-Ahmet-Zappa/dp/142314774X

NormHonal Wed 07-Sep-16 20:41:29

More than £50 but at the company I used to work for we clubbed together and got a ride-on version of the new dad's car. Like this. I always thought it was a cool idea but it's around £100.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Wed 07-Sep-16 20:56:42

Neither mothers nor fathers actually need a gift but it's a nice gesture.

Like I said in my post above, people get to saturation point with compulsory collections, that's all. People can choose to do their own thing but there isn't a gift from everyone as such.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now