Talk

Advanced search

Expired voucher

(6 Posts)
chocoLit Mon 05-Sep-16 23:09:46

Not very exciting I know but as a small business we are asked on almost a daily basis to provide raffle prizes. Which we do for local groups/organisations without fail. In the form of vouchers in the hope that people who may not have previously been will come in with voucher and try out our place.

We regularly get asked if people can use vouchers that have expired. Depending on circumstances I say yes or honour half of the value as a gesture of good will.

So another expired voucher request has come in from a parent at the local school who won the voucher in a raffle. She wants to use it next wk but it's already 3wks past its date. But that's ok isn't it? Because she knows me? And because she's sent me a wee message on FB to say she presumes that it'll still be ok & she's looking forward to spending her voucher. hmm

We are not 'friends' I know her through having children at same school (none in same years)

She is not a regular or someone who has supported the business in any way other than asking for raffle prizes several times a year, which I never refuse as its for the school.

So. Do I reply no, sorry it's actually expired <would she ask M&S or John Lewis?!>

Do I honour half of it as a gesture of good will?

Or do I say no, sorry but it's already out of date by a considerable amount <at which point my name will become mud throughout the village and school>

I feel like I have MUG stamped across my forehead sometimes.

The life of the owner of a small business is not a straightforward one!!

EttaJ Mon 05-Sep-16 23:19:17

What sort of business is it without outing yourself?

BackforGood Mon 05-Sep-16 23:22:30

My instinct is to say, if you were prepared to give a free meal / service / experience / whatever your business is, then does it really matter to you if it was given away 3 weeks ago, or now?

In future - if it does for some reason matter (obvs not knowing what your business is, it's difficult to say), then I would print it really clearly on the voucher, and write it again on the envelope, and reiterate that it can ONLY be used up until X date. Not many people read small print on things.

chocoLit Mon 05-Sep-16 23:24:40

All our vouchers are professionally printed with these stipulations on them. People just like to read/see what they want.

chocoLit Mon 05-Sep-16 23:25:36

I suppose it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things other than just another occasion where we're trying to do a nice thing and someone is taking the piss. Again.

DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings Mon 05-Sep-16 23:29:16

Out of date now blah blah end of year tax blah blah financial year of that voucher has ended blah blah... something like that... can't think exactly what I'm trying to say but on an industry forum someone was saying their standard reply to people wanting use out of date voucher is something about end of tax year/accounts filed so they can't be used. I'm not much help am I grinconfused. If no one here can help, definitely google it in co junction with end of year accounts, tax year etc and see if you can find a good response based on that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now