Talk

Advanced search

Afternoon with the MIL

(5 Posts)
blitzgirl Thu 01-Sep-16 09:55:17

Today I have to endure an afternoon with the MIL and DP's 2 nieces. My dd loves seeing her cousins and I'd never deprive her of that but my god do I HATE having to spend time with them! Sound awful don't I?! Bit of back ground:

DPs family talk to me like I'm a child - I'm 32. I feel incredibly condescended by his DM, brother & SIL. There were some family issues about 6 years ago - which I could write a whole other thread about! - and due to this all conversations were hushed in other rooms, mail secretly slipped to DP and our relationship hushed up for the sake of his ExW. Ever since then I feel like all they are interested in is DD and couldn't care less if I was there or not. If I try and start a conversation with them, they change the subject back to them and some times BIL doesn't even say hello to me when I enter the room! I've spoken to DP and he says I'm being stupid and picking on his family for no reason but I feel like I have a right to be heard!

My question is, WWYD faced with being made to feel like this and more importantly any survival tips for me this afternoon because I am literally sick to the back teeth with it!

Hissy Fri 02-Sep-16 18:55:43

Why do you agree to it? The nieces could come alone. Or you could arrange to meet out somewhere.

How did it go in the end?

blitzgirl Fri 02-Sep-16 19:09:45

I guess I'm a soft touch. In the end I left dd with mil and went to get some shopping by the time I got back she had suggested meeting at a cafe so in the end I only had to do half hour or so and I let her talk about herself. The thing is I feel guilty if I say no and wretched if I say yes!

RandomMess Fri 02-Sep-16 19:13:27

Perhaps this was an issue for the ExW?

Sounds like you will always be an outsider?

Hissy Sat 03-Sep-16 15:21:56

Good for you! Now you know how to manage this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now