Possible theft from new cleaner

(23 Posts)
caroetsweeper Wed 31-Aug-16 09:04:01

Name changed here...

At the beginning of summer I saw an ad on local fb group - cleaner for 2 hours at a discount rate through a company - let's call them sparkle shine. Booked it for Thurs 19th August. Dh was home, one lady came for about 1hr 3/4. Not a great job said she'd make it up on the following Weds 9am which would be our regular slot. Ok.

Weds 24th - topless man came round the back of the house whilst I was there at 10am - so an hour late (we have a keysafe). Obviously hadn't expected anyone to be there. I asked who he was - cleaners boyfriend as she had trouble finding the house. Different woman from last week. Ok. He seemed to go at this point.

I showed her where the key was made sure she was happy and left. We have 2 dogs, and they just keep out the way in the garden but need to come in again when she'd finished.

I was out with Dc until 1pm. Came home. My neighbour came round and said topless man was shouting at the dogs. We have a townhouse so it was really bloody obvious angry

Wtf was he doing there anyway? It was a crap job too. I messaged sparkle shine and said thanks but we won't take a regular slot due to man in my house shouting at the dogs. Manager was apologetic. I said I didn't want to take it any further, just don't come back.

I then got a message from sparkle shines second manager saying she couldn't believe what had happened. She'd warned manager 1 that shitty cleaner was crap. She'd basically parted company from sparkle shine that day. She asked if I wanted her to come and clean for us. I said thanks but no thanks.

I've had a friend from work staying. When she came home I said cleaners had been in. Her door was opened so hopefully dogs hang been in there on her bed or anything. Next day she said she's missing a ring.

She was due to leave on the Friday anyway so was half packed. She said ring had dropped out of her bag but now nowhere to be found. I have completely cleared the room and really checked. It's not there. I've opened up both hoovers - gone through them. Bleughh. No sign.

Yesterday I contacted sparkle shine who said they'd ask shitty cleaner if she had moved it etc - I'm being very careful not to accuse anyone. Just had a message saying no sign. Ring value is about £90.

Wwyd? Police?

expatinscotland Wed 31-Aug-16 09:10:55

It's entirely possible the ring is still in your house.

bloodyteenagers Wed 31-Aug-16 09:25:16

Is the work colleague trying to pull a fast one?
She's basically saying what - she had a ring in her bag not in anything to keep it safe. It dropped out of the bag and onto the floor. She couldn't be arsed to pick it up and left it there. Day after cleaner noticed it was missing?

SnotGoblin Wed 31-Aug-16 09:35:44

I would seethe and believe that either the cleaner took it or the friend will find it later in the bottom of her bag. I'd change the key hiding place and tell friend you would keep an eye out for ring and let her know if it turns up and seek any future cleaners using recommendations and references.

caroetsweeper Wed 31-Aug-16 11:49:29

Thanks all. Hadn't really considered friend might be lying.

caroetsweeper Wed 31-Aug-16 11:49:48

Key safe code was changed immediately.

Iwantamarshmallow Wed 31-Aug-16 11:53:43

Change the code to your key safe it you gave it to the cleaner

Iwantamarshmallow Wed 31-Aug-16 11:54:43

DOH ...didn't see that last one

bloodyteenagers Wed 31-Aug-16 12:08:00

It just seems odd that only one item has been 'stolen'

caroetsweeper Wed 31-Aug-16 12:19:11

Yes it does actually.

ImperialBlether Wed 31-Aug-16 12:21:36

I don't understand. Who's the man with no top on?

Mymouthgetsmeintrouble Wed 31-Aug-16 12:25:00

Some cleaning companies will only use their own vacuums for insurance purposes , if ring was on floor and floor got vacuumed it will have been sucked up , i doubt a cleaner would be happy to go through the dirt in a vac bag to look for a ring that shouldnt have been on the floor anyway , it does seem odd that your friend hadnt popped it in a ring box or a purse

caroetsweeper Wed 31-Aug-16 12:44:27

Man without top was cleaner's boyfriend. I met him as he'd said he had helped her find our house. He should never have stayed as he's not a cleaner.

I honestly don't know what to do for the best.

GeneralBobbit Wed 31-Aug-16 12:49:45

Are you really sure nothing else has been taken? Where do you keep your valuables?

Optimist1 Wed 31-Aug-16 12:53:49

I agree to steer clear of all personnel associated with the cleaning company. Find an individual or company that someone you know has used for quite a long time.

WRT the ring - your friend's contents insurance would probably cover her for loss while away from home. I agree that she might well be taking advantage of the dodgy cleaner situation to make a small profit, and with PPs who suggest that a theft would involve more than one item especially as it's not particularly valuable.

AnotherTimeMaybe Wed 31-Aug-16 12:58:02

You have no evidence only speculations and assumptions and you do know your mates story sounds a bit dodgy!
I'd leave it and look for a different cleaner

caroetsweeper Wed 31-Aug-16 13:47:54

Honestly I'm not looking for another cleaner. That part isn't even an issue.

I feel like I have a few options...

Just give friend £90 and chalk it up to experience.

Call the non-emergency police

Do nothing. Expect friend to realise that a ring needs to be better looked after.

Another option I haven't considered?

I don't think anything else has been taken.

AnotherTimeMaybe Wed 31-Aug-16 13:51:53

No don't give her any money!! Dont even entertain this option!!!
Her stuff her responsibility, you're not a hotel or an insurance company!!!

bloodyteenagers Wed 31-Aug-16 14:00:55

If she brings it up again, just tell her you will keep looking for it. Thieves usually go for more than a ring.
A friend lost a ring in my house. But big and flew off. We couldn't find it, despite a few of us witnessing this and looking in the direction it went.
I regularly pull everything out to clean under/behind etc. Two years later the damn ring reappeared.

Just a thought you said the door was open. Could one of the dogs have eaten it? Or it got mixed up in clothing?

caroetsweeper Wed 31-Aug-16 14:06:29

Door was open and yes dogs could have gone on and eaten it. Definitely no other human had opportunity to go in there.

I do wonder now about it turning up elsewhere. The cleaners being crap just lend weight to my presumption of guilt.

daisychain01 Wed 31-Aug-16 14:16:41

I showed her where the key was made sure she was happy and left

You showed an unknown, unreferenced person where your key was, after a random topless bloke turned up unannounced and then went off leaving her in your house. Really??

Sorry but Im just a bit stunned.

caroetsweeper Wed 31-Aug-16 14:24:09

From an agency - with insurance and references.

caroetsweeper Wed 31-Aug-16 14:26:13

As far as I knew random man had gone. Well he had but obviously returned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now