Talk

Advanced search

another dog one....

(10 Posts)
IJustAteTheKidsFoodAgain Tue 16-Aug-16 04:58:12

So I was at a fete type thing on Sunday, really busy, loads of children etc and as we walk past another family, their dog for no reason at all lunges at my dd2.5 who is a good two metres away and hadn't even noticed the dog so wasn't doing anything at all to attract it's attention. The dog owners carried on like nothing had happened whilst several other people around us made shocked comments about the situation. Now, to be fair to the owners, the dog did have a muzzle but it was one of those soft muzzles and I would think it actually made the situation worse for the dog as it was a really hot day and my own dog was struggling with the heat and he was able to pant. I did nothing at all as my dd hadn't really noticed and she unfortunately did get bitten by a dog a couple of months ago and I didn't want to make it a big deal. I'm just wondering what other people would do in that situation? The dog was on a lead so in theory was under control, but it managed to make quite a leap because it was one of those godforsaken extendable leads. It just seemed cruel to both the dog and any child who happened to walk in its vicinity.

IJustAteTheKidsFoodAgain Tue 16-Aug-16 07:17:38

Hello? I've started another dead thread haven't I? blush

BeachysSandyFlipFlops Tue 16-Aug-16 07:23:39

Not sure you can do anything. It was on a lead, had a muzzle and didn't make contact with anything.

Not sure making a lunging movement towards a person, dog or child is an offence of any kind.

Sleeperandthespindle Tue 16-Aug-16 07:23:41

Well, it's not necessarily dead, just there have been an awful lot of repetitive and circular dog threads recently.

What would I do? Nothing. You walked past, dog 'lunged', nothing happened. It was yesterday. Your child didn't notice. She didn't react or overreact. Good. All is fine.

SkydivingFerret Tue 16-Aug-16 07:28:45

Well it's all a bit of a non event isn't it? Dog lunged, child didn't notice...no harm done...not sure quite what you're expecting people to say except move on?

IJustAteTheKidsFoodAgain Tue 16-Aug-16 07:31:39

I think I just had one of those moments when I wondered if I should have said something. Probably because I couldn't sleep last night. I also might be more concerned about those muzzles that stop them panting on a hot day....

Sleeperandthespindle Tue 16-Aug-16 07:58:29

Do they stop them panting? My dog has a head collar and he can still carry a ball and pant.

IJustAteTheKidsFoodAgain Tue 16-Aug-16 08:27:10

Not a head collar, the soft muzzles that restrict them opening their mouths, my dog also has a head collar occasionally which doesn't restrict his mouth at all but this was definitely stopping the dog opening its mouth very wide

BeachysSandyFlipFlops Tue 16-Aug-16 08:46:59

So you want to report to prevent dog cruelty? Not sure that's how it came across...confused

IJustAteTheKidsFoodAgain Tue 16-Aug-16 08:51:41

No, I just wanted to know what others would do, obviously the answer is nothing and I was overthinking. My initial reaction to do nothing was fine, as, I'm sure, is the dog.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now