Talk

Advanced search

Unexpected money. Two ways to spend it, can't decide. Help!

(22 Posts)
ChuffMuffin Fri 12-Aug-16 23:23:49

Firstly no this isn't a stealth boast. I was going to namechange but namechanging is broken apparently so fuck it. grin

Right, I've recently (and very surprisingly! thought they'd worm out of it) managed to claim compensation for two 12+ hour delayed flights that had an outside EU destination. Comes to just shy of £1k. The company have alternatively offered me vouchers with the airlines they own in the sum of €1600. DH usually (not definitely) gets a bonus of about £1k in March of each year. This is relevant as I guess if we do one we could use the money on the other IF we get the bonus.

I bought a house about two years ago that was ex rental and the landlord basically didn't give a shit. It's 25ish years old and still has the original, mdf/chipboard/rotting white kitchen in it, complete with cracked tiles. To say the kitchen is gross is an understatement. It all needs ripping out, repainting and redoing. Our friend has a trade kitchen card and we could buy all new units for about £500, then spend the rest retiling, repainting etc.

On the other hand, DH's family live a 12 hour flight away. They were whom we were visiting when we were delayed originally. We could go visit and stay with them with the voucher. My inlaws are absolutely wonderful people, I love them dearly. They are visiting us this year, last time we saw them was two years ago. The downside is DH doesn't like his home country at all, neither of us feel particularly safe there (we heard gunfire last time, and there was an attempted home invasion on their property last year). The upside is, like I said I love my in laws so much, the country is super cheap and it's an absolutely beautiful.

What would you do? I'm interested to hear what others think. The people I've asked in person are just like "I dunno do what you want" which is not helpful, haha. I think I'm gonna have to be a boring adult and pick the kitchen. I really, really would love to go and see my in laws, although I'm seeing them already this year.

StealthPolarBear Fri 12-Aug-16 23:26:02

Pay for you and in laws to meet somewhere in between, rent a cottage? Msybe in November after you've not seen them a few monthd?
Would it stretch to that?

sglodion Fri 12-Aug-16 23:27:26

I'd do the kitchen, especially as ILs are visiting soon anyway.

NapQueen Fri 12-Aug-16 23:27:29

Do you live in the house? If so that. Do the kitchen. You are seeing your in laws soon.

If dh's bonus comes through revisit the idea of flying out there next year.

Think how wonderful it will be to cook every day in your new kitchen.

NameChange23 Fri 12-Aug-16 23:29:02

I was going to say see the ILs but... A kitchen for £1000, that's an opportunity not to be missed.

ArgyMargy Fri 12-Aug-16 23:29:21

You won't get much of a kitchen for £500.

ArgyMargy Fri 12-Aug-16 23:30:39

THAT was the stealth boast... Oh I just happened to buy this house that was lying around.

Paulat2112 Fri 12-Aug-16 23:31:11

Put it towards a kitchen

SwedishEdith Fri 12-Aug-16 23:33:48

Oh, I want to know the airlines, OP.

JacquettaWoodville Fri 12-Aug-16 23:36:35

Kitchen

ImperialBlether Fri 12-Aug-16 23:36:51

I'd split it in half - be practical with one half and treat yourself to an experience with the other half.

Obsidian77 Fri 12-Aug-16 23:38:26

I think I can guess the country from the 12hr flight and home invasions. It's got worse since you were last there.
I'd say do the kitchen because that's something you will use every day. We recently renovated a hideous bathroom and I smile every time I go into the room because it just looks so so much better. Enjoy your windfall, whatever you decide to do.

kate33 Fri 12-Aug-16 23:39:26

Oooh tough one. Firstly congrats op, just lovely when something so good happens isn't it. A new kitchen will give you happiness each morning when you first step into it and when you have friends round for supper. Maybe if you used the trade card and saved money you could use the extra left to treat your in-laws when they come and visit later in the year. I think I would have said go on holiday but for the fact that you mention feeling uncomfortable and the threat of violence in your DH's homeland. Whatever you choose you will enjoy it, both options are great!

HeddaGarbled Fri 12-Aug-16 23:41:28

Definitely the kitchen.

Anonymouses Fri 12-Aug-16 23:43:07

Kitchen it's your everyday and you will see in laws soon.

HemanOrSheRa Fri 12-Aug-16 23:46:31

Definitely the kitchen as you are seeing your in laws soon. I spent an unexpected windfall on my kitchen. Got it just the way I wanted it particularly with the layout, plumbing and electrics and have never regretted it.

Minniemagoo Fri 12-Aug-16 23:47:59

Flights. Use the bonus for the kitchen.
There's at least 600 of a difference.
Re safety, how safe do your parents feel. It's a state of mind. Friends regularly travel to South Africa or Argentina both which have problems but it's all about being sensible.

ChuffMuffin Sat 13-Aug-16 01:09:40

Yeah it's SA, I do love visiting there but my DH who is South African doesn't. We were stopped by the police last time and they made us give them a bribe, they stopped us in(!) the airport car park and made up some bullshit about our rental car, took our passports and made us pay R800 to get them back. Sigh. We try to be a sensible as you can be but there's always that slight worry. But it is an amazing place to visit..

The kitchen wholesaler, I know £500 doesn't sound much but my friend's got one of their kitchen unit sets as his kitchen and it's really nice! We can fit it all ourselves. so that won't cost any extra.

Also I totally forgot to put in the OP I have consulted DH about this! he's away at the moment and not back until Monday, he is the world's crappest texter, all he's said is he's really pleased it's sorted, but I suspect he's probably gonna say "whatever you think".

Thanks for all your opinions so far! grin

ChuffMuffin Sat 13-Aug-16 01:11:29

Also the airline may or may not rhyme with Hair Schmance wink

ChuffMuffin Sat 13-Aug-16 01:16:40

And I claimed through www.resolver.co.uk because they ignored the letter I sent them at the time. Sorry to spam my own thread, haha.

Obsidian77 Sun 14-Aug-16 21:44:31

Ekurhuleni's finest never cease to inspire me...
Not to derail the thread but it's absolutely not the case that being sensible there means you can avoid being a victim of crime, for example armed robbers once tried to steal our car with our toddler inside when we were at a children's party.
ChuffMuffin, did you run it by your in-laws? What would they like for you?

altiara Tue 16-Aug-16 16:30:27

Another vote for kitchen - you get everyday joy and in laws are already coming this year smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now