Work and home conflict

(10 Posts)
Userfaye1 Sat 06-Aug-16 00:55:28

Hi my issue is about work and home conflict.i want get some outsider perspective on this.

My husband is a stay at home dad and works from home,and I work in retail 30 hours a week and I requires me to do occasional weekends to cover managers holidays etc (I'm a supervisor) I have been in the job 2 years.
We have a 5 year old daughter and my husband has a 7 year old son from a previous relationship who we have every other weekend.
My husband has a issue with me working on the weekends his step son is over as in his words he doesn't want to look after two of them on his own, as I mentioned before I only work the occasional weekend maybe 1-2 every couple of months depending on holidays at work.
I try to not work those weekends if I can help it but sometimes I just can't and every time I do we have a massive argument he doesn't understand why I just can't say no.i explain to him I am the only one who works there that can cover the store when the manager is away.
Anyway he now wants me to tell my manager that I can't work the 2 Saturdays we have two children,

I understand my husband wants us all there on those weekends but I also think he's being a bit silly saying he doesn't want to look after two children on his own.

Also I don't know where I will stand at work if I do go through with it and ask my manager if this would be a possibility.

Thoughts on this please

Missgraeme Sat 06-Aug-16 18:02:57

Remind him he is a grown man.
They are both his children.
U work to contribute towards family finances. He needs to suck it up and shut up. My dh is a sahd to 4 kids and never complains when I work.

BodsAuntieFlo Mon 08-Aug-16 21:55:18

Give up work, then he'd have something to whine about.

JinRamen Mon 08-Aug-16 22:04:33

I work every weekend and my Dh looks after three dc. Tell him to grow up.

Thelaundrylady Mon 08-Aug-16 22:07:30

He's being ridiculous. On the weekends that I work my DH has a minimum of 5 to look after. Remind him that you are not out on a jolly you are working to provide for your family. He needs to man up..

Jeffjefftyjeff Mon 08-Aug-16 22:39:29

Working at weekends is part and parcel of working in retail. He is lucky it isn't more frequent than it is at the moment, surely?

CookieDoughKid Mon 08-Aug-16 22:45:34

He's being an arse and he knows it. Imagine having lost your job,then how will you all struggle?? Tell him to fuck off and man up and when you work - he has to work at home too.

Gazelda Mon 08-Aug-16 22:50:42

I presume your contract states that you are required to cover colleagues' leave when necessary? Show him the contract.
And it it doesn't state that, then just tell him that you value your job and income too much to jeapordise it because he can't handle his own 2 children.

cexuwaleozbu Mon 08-Aug-16 23:13:50

Millions of parents are perfectly capable of managing 2 children to one adult. He is being pathetic.

bluebeck Sat 13-Aug-16 22:30:27

He sounds utterly pathetic.

Is this the tip of the iceberg?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now