Talk

Advanced search

Stay in job you hate or retrain but there are risks?

(7 Posts)
Grassgreendashhabi Wed 03-Aug-16 14:40:35

I need different perspective and hoping you can help

Husband has a very low grade job he hates it. He is doing it because the hours are very good he is not qualified in anything but hates it with a passion

He has the opportunity to work in a different field.

He passed the interview stage and has to go on a 18 week training course. The worry is if you fail at any point in the course you don't get a second opportunity

He had the interview before the job he is currently doing came up, the better job had a long waiting period.

So does he stick with the job doing, hating it but it's a regular wage

Or leave do the 18 weeks training for a really good job better money risk is if he failed it he would be out of work

I'm not currently working and we have a 15 month old. We don't have a big mortgage etc. Hence he is able to do the lower paid job. So it's not money orrientated but obviously he needs to be working

What would you do

Grassgreendashhabi Wed 03-Aug-16 18:16:47

Anyone

PlanD Wed 03-Aug-16 18:20:44

I think if you're given the opportunity to get out of a job you hate, you should take it. Is there any reason he should fail the training?

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 03-Aug-16 18:27:26

Can the business offer any idea of how many people pass the course? You'll normally get the odd person who doesn't pass but if it's a high percentage who pass unless your Dh is a dimwit there's no reason he should.

Grassgreendashhabi Wed 03-Aug-16 18:31:34

It does not seem to have a high fail rate. And I think and so does he that he could do it. But it's not 100% guaranteed

Grassgreendashhabi Wed 03-Aug-16 18:32:17

It does not have a high fail rate.

We both feel he could do it. But it's not 100% guarantee he could pass

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 03-Aug-16 19:15:38

Take the GAmble and do it.

To be honest with any new job there's always a slight risk that the new employer might not like you and get rid, I think legally they can do that with no reason in the first two years of a job! Many jobs have a six month trial period as well.

And even if it didn't work out if he currently has quite a low grade job chances are he could find something similar again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now