Grandpa can't make wedding date

(9 Posts)
weddingblahblahblah Sat 30-Jul-16 23:42:51

So dp proposed recently, we decided to get married fairly soon as we will be having IVF after that and ideally want to get married before that. Very exciting!

I asked my parents to check with family if the date is ok as I'm away for work for a while in another time zone so hard to call. Heard nothing, went ahead and researched options. Found perfect place, registrar available etc. Got message this morning telling me grandpa is away on that date, holiday finishing the day after.

What do I do? I'm a teacher so the date I've chosen is the only holiday I have before IVF. We aren't particularly close but I would want him there. I don't know that he will be that fussed to miss it really but I might just be trying to justify if in my head.

I'll call him but I want to know before I do if it's totally awful to go ahead anyway? Or awful to even be thinking of it!

pinkyredrose Sat 30-Jul-16 23:49:44

If you really want him there could you delay the wedding even just by a wk or 2? If you think he wouldn't be too fussed anyway maybe you and your new DH could go round when he's back with pics, wedding cake and some bubbly? Maybe see if some family can join too, make it a little post wedding gathering?

pinkyredrose Sat 30-Jul-16 23:50:21

Ps. Congratulations! flowers

Casmama Sat 30-Jul-16 23:53:52

I would explain o him alone why you are picking that date and it then leaves the ball in his court as to whether he changes the holiday.

memyselfandaye Sat 30-Jul-16 23:54:21

Could you set up a computer and facetime?

DPotter Sat 30-Jul-16 23:59:06

Whatever the size of the guest list, I think its virtually impossible to find a date when everyone can be available, especially at short notice. You're bound to find someone who can't make it, or who has re-arrange something to suit the wedding date. There's always the bit of th Best Man's speech when he reads out cards from people who can't be there. You could find by re-arranging other family members are committed elsewhere.

I would go for your original date and take Pink's idea of a post wedding get together. Congrats and best wishes for the IVF

pinkyredrose Sun 31-Jul-16 01:16:05

That's a good idea meme, just reminded me, I know a couple that shared their ceremony by Skype to family and friends who couldn't be there.

weddingblahblahblah Sun 31-Jul-16 02:30:59

Great ideas, thank you. I can't really delay by a week as I'm not able to take holiday apart from that date. I'll explain why to him and then if he doesn't want to/can't change dates we can have a post wedding celebration.

Thank you so much, not feeling so bad now. smile

weddingblahblahblah Sun 31-Jul-16 02:31:47

Skype a good idea too! I actually went to a wedding where the bride's sister broke down on the way so she watched the ceremony via FaceTime!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now