If someone was trying to get in your house and you couldn't reach your phone?

(13 Posts)
SooWrites Sat 30-Jul-16 15:05:32

It happened to me last night. I ended up doing nothing, just laying, terrified, in bed. Now I'm still feeling shaken and shattered and wondering what I do if it happens again?

I always considered myself to be quite brave and usually go and investigate bumps in the night quite happily but last night I froze.

I was alone in the house with just the little dog, who was shut in the kitchen at the back of the house. There was a massive smash, which I initaillay thought was my window and a man screaming obsecities in the middle of the street. Turns out he was throwing glass bottles at my door/walls.

He then started kicking my door screaming "Let me in you fat, ginger graff, I want a taxi," I'm not ginger so assume he thought someone he knew lived here.

He was right outside my door and my phone was on the top landing. If I'd gone for it to ring the police he could have seen me and I was worried that would cause him to start trying to get in again. Lots of people were shouting that they'd rang the police but I never heard them turn up. A neighbour came out and told him move away from my house.

It carried on for about an hour. I'm alone in the house tonight and feeling a bit scared, which I guess is the point of the thread. Obviously my phone will be kept in my room tonight but there's no working plugs in my room to keep it charged.

giantcar Sat 30-Jul-16 15:09:51

Sorry to hear about your experience. Can you buy a mobile phone?

SooWrites Sat 30-Jul-16 15:16:56

I only have a mobile, but it's old and doesn't hold charge well. I can't afford a new one until the end of next month.

My house is also in need of udating. It's old sockets/wires and there's only one socket in each room. The one in my room doesn't work, so I leave my phone on the landing to charge overnight. There's a window in the door that overlooks the landing. That's why I didn't get up for my phone last night.

I'm going to charge it before bed and take up with me and I'm bringing the dog too. I was really looking forward to a rare night off work in front of the telly with some wine. Now I'm scared to be in the house sad

BertieBotts Sat 30-Jul-16 15:17:03

Keep the phone in your room but switched off so it doesn't discharge overnight. Get the plugs fixed as a priority. If you rent, ask your landlord. It's a safety issue too - if you woke up and your smoke alarm was going off and you couldn't get out how would you call the fire brigade? Or if you needed an ambulance but couldn't move? If you live alone, you need a phone accessible at night IMO.

You could also buy a cheap mobile phone - you know the kind which last for about a week on a charge when not used for anything! You don't have to have a sim card in a phone to call the emergency services.

Or if you have a telephone socket in your bedroom and a landline connection (I assume you do if you have internet) you could get the very basic type which doesn't require electricity from a plug to work. These are about £5 from argos/tesco/etc.

BertieBotts Sat 30-Jul-16 15:17:54

Sorry to hear you are scared sad

Would anyone come over to be with you?

BertieBotts Sat 30-Jul-16 15:18:42

As another security measure how about hanging a curtain over the door so that the window is not see through?

Dozer Sat 30-Jul-16 15:20:19

Sorry you went through that. It's great that your neighbours heard and dealt with it. If you feel able it'd be good to report it to the non emergency police number.

Donthate Sat 30-Jul-16 15:22:11

I would call the police today to report. I would guess he was drunk sand confused and it won't happen again. Not excusing him at all it sounds terrifying.

SooWrites Sat 30-Jul-16 15:30:08

It was wine bottles he was throwing at my house, so I'd imagine he was drunk.

Yeah, the neighbour was great. the bloke shouting threatened to fight him but he insisted he had to move away from my house. I've popped a note through his door thanking him. Unfortunately it was another neighbours boyfriend/guest who was doing the smashing and shouting. She'd kicked him out. It was her he was screaming obsecenities about inbetween trying to get in my house to ring a taxi. That's why I'm worried it happens again.

It's a bit of a rough street, they all sit out drinking and smoking together when it's warm. I keep myself quiet but polite. I'm much too old to be drinking in the street and shagging my nieghbours. I don't know who he thought I was.

I could go to my mums for the evening but she has no room for me to sleep there. The rest of my family are going out, my mum is designated babysitter. I can't afford a night out and would need to come back here anyway.

I'm going to cover the window onto the stairs. Could the police do anything now? I didn't see him and couldn't identify him. I'm also concerned about causing more trouble as I have to live by these people until I can afford to move.

JinRamen Sat 30-Jul-16 15:57:07

If you know whose guest it was, can you ask them for some more info? Or at least point the police in their direction?

kormachameleon Sat 30-Jul-16 16:02:29

Can you run an extension lead from the plug socket on landing into your room ?

SooWrites Sat 30-Jul-16 16:15:33

Actually, I could Korma. I usually don't in case someone trips on it and falls down the stairs but there's only me home tonight. I will do that.

Missgraeme Mon 01-Aug-16 16:48:21

Never mind a new phone. U need a new dog!!! The odd time we have heard noises we let out rotty out into the garden!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now