Move again?

(10 Posts)
blibblibs Thu 21-Jul-16 10:48:41

DH has been offered a new job, the work sounds great, the money is fine, the only problem is, it's not in this country.

For a bit of background, we have two DC who are now on their second primary school. We moved 18 months ago as we could no longer afford to live where we were, so DH found a better paying job in a cheaper part of the country. All good, except neither of us really like living here. The DC took a while to settle but they seem ok now, but DH and myself don't see ourselves living here forever.

So the options are to take the job abroad, stay for 2/3 years and move back to where we are originally from and where the DC were born (although they have very little memory of there) or stay where we are until the DC get through school (10 more years) and hope that we feel more at home.

Without the DC it would be an easy decision but we have to try and do what is right for them as well as us.

Any advice/experience of moving reluctant DC would be most appreciated.

blibblibs Thu 21-Jul-16 19:13:53

Anyone?

apivita Thu 21-Jul-16 19:17:07

I think it would depend very much which country this is. Ie in terms of safety, education opportunities for the kids, job or career for you, career development opportunities for him. Also if there's extended family, then will there be opportunities for them to come visit and vice versa. Or you might not be fussed.

How old are the children? They would adjust quite well if they are young. But then again it can be ok too for older children.

BristolLFR Thu 21-Jul-16 19:17:44

I have no advice I'm afraid, but didn't want to leave you hanging!

What is the country like that you'd move to? Does it have a good quality of life for little ones? I'd love to live somewhere Mediterranean, the idea of them playing on the beach at weekends! Only a personal view, but I wouldn't if it was somewhere middle eastern, the temps are so hot and it does seem like you live in compound type communities.

If you could sell it in to the DC, I'm sure they wouldn't mind moving again, but don't just move now because you don't like where you are. If that's the case, really reflect on what it is you do want from a move and go and find that, rather than taking what's fallen in your lap x

blibblibs Thu 21-Jul-16 20:10:54

Thank you both. DC are both mid primary age and it's a small Mediterranean island so family visiting and us returning for holidays shouldn't be a problem. It's a good oppurtunity for DH and has been a possibility for a while due to the growing industry out there. I would be leaving my job obviously and I'm not sure how easy it would be to get one out there or if I'd want to. There would certainly be no pressure financially to get one.
I do worry that we'd just be running away though.

Hullygully Thu 21-Jul-16 20:12:39

How is choosing a better life than the one you have now "running away?"

But don't move them again until they've finished school...

Hullygully Thu 21-Jul-16 20:13:46

Oh, just seen it's primary. Deffo go for it. But do make sure the secondaries are great and that you would stay put throughout. It's all about peers at secondary.

apivita Thu 21-Jul-16 20:34:33

Maybe you can stay till the end of primary? Make sure there's plans to re enter sec school in the U.K. So ensure the sats are taken for example. Will there be international school options?

blibblibs Thu 21-Jul-16 21:06:58

Unless we absolutely loved it we are thinking at the moment it would be until the end if primary school and then come back and settle where we know and like and have family connections with. We have none of that here.
I don't suppose of we sent them to state school over there they would do data. How difficult would that make our return to the UK? There are private schools avalible but I'm not sure our budget would stretch that far. Certainly none of the other employees send their children to private school.

blibblibs Thu 21-Jul-16 21:07:47

Data - sats

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now