Angry parents, distressed child

(14 Posts)
HippyHippopotamus Thu 21-Jul-16 08:17:13

I was woken this morning (at 7am if it's relevant) by (I'm assuming) a mum and dad shouting at their child. The child looked to be approximately 3 or 4 but no older.
The anger in the man's voice was awful, but the woman's was pretty bad too. The only thing I remember them specifically shouting was that the child is grounded and the child's name. They were dressed smartly so I'm assuming parents going to work and their child was slowing them down. Child was crying, in a distressed way not a whingey complaining way.

There's only one nursery open that early round here, would you mention it to them?

I suspect I'll be told to keep my nose out. I know we all have our less proud parenting moments but this poor little poor was getting aggressively shouted at by both parents for a fair distance.

HippyHippopotamus Thu 21-Jul-16 09:33:22

Hmm, doesn't seem to be much traffic in this corner of MN!

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Thu 21-Jul-16 09:37:44

You'll be told to keep your nose out, mind your own business, you can't judge anyone from a single snapshot... but tbh I'd probably say something. Just in case. I'd rather say something and be wrong than say nothing and be wrong.

Then again the child could have done something really bad I suppose. Burnt the house down or something.

seven201 Thu 21-Jul-16 09:37:55

As you say every parent can have their moment when it's all just too much. I'm not condoning the shouting at the child but this alone wouldn't make me contact the nursery.

Lindy2 Thu 21-Jul-16 09:46:23

How do you know the child was going to nursery?
It sounds like a bit very nice moment but you know nothing about what led up to it and have only assumed the child was going to nursery.
If it was something that you were regularly witnessing then yes more needs to be done. A one off incident from a family you know nothing about, I don't think so.

steppemum Thu 21-Jul-16 09:47:33

nose out.
They had a bad morning after several hot days when all have had trouble sleeping.
So shoot them.
It could have been me. It could have been you.

No way would I mention it to nursery or anyone else.

abbsismyhero Thu 21-Jul-16 09:53:44

Keep quiet for now if it happens again then say something everyone can have a bad day

nennyrainbow Thu 21-Jul-16 10:07:49

Two parents both shouting aggressively in the street at a preschool age child to the extent that they wake the neighbours doesn't sound right to me, but Its just a snapshot. Do they live near you or is the nursery near you? I'm trying to work out why they would be shouting outside your bedroom window. Don't most people drop off by car? Seems very early to be out with a young child. How long did it go on for?
I don't see why you shouldn't contact the nursery with your concerns. If the child does attend there, they will probably just keep a closer eye on him or her without taking it any further in the first instance, so if it's a one-off, then it won't have any repercussions for the parents. And if they did turn out to be abusive parents, you'd feel pretty terrible if you'd just sat there and watched and done nothing.

HippyHippopotamus Thu 21-Jul-16 11:07:50

You're all writing what I'm thinking!

Yes just a snapshot. No I don't know anything about them.

They were all just walking past my house this morning. I don't know for sure that they were going to the nursery.

I've had a look on our cctv. Can't see them because it's pointed at our front door but you can hear them.

She screams: get a fucking move on

Child: help me mummy

He shouts: move X (boy's name)

She screams: you're grounded

Child: mummy, help

He shouts (a little more gently): come on!

She screams: fucking leave him

nennyrainbow Thu 21-Jul-16 17:12:55

Did you do it, HippyHippo?
Apart from anything else, it's hardly appropriate language to address a 3 or 4 year old. If they treat him like that in public, imagine how they might treat him at home.

ayeokthen Thu 21-Jul-16 17:16:12

Ooft what a way to speak to a kid! I've had this outside our house before and stuck my head out of the window and told them exactly what I thought of them! I'm far from super mum, but never in my life would I swear at my kids (unless it was under my breath while hiding in the kitchen) or speak to them like that. Our 3 year old is a dawdler on the way to nursery, so we leave earlier. I don't want to be constantly chivvying and bitching all the way there.

HippyHippopotamus Fri 22-Jul-16 09:57:18

I phoned the local nursery. They were understandably reluctant to confirm whether they had a child called X there but she did hint that they weren't the right place.

They're on my radar. If I see any of them out and about, I'll try (subtly!) to get some more details. His pleas of "help me mummy" whilst she was screaming at him, haven't left me.

Lindy2 Fri 22-Jul-16 12:27:36

I do understand your concern OP but I do think it is quite an assumption that this child attends the nursery. Other than it is a nursery in your local area there is no actual proven connection to it. The child may go to a childminder, be with parents, go to grandparent, just be visiting the area etc etc. I do hope there is no child of the same name who does actually attend the nursery whose family is now under suspicion.
Normally I would be in favour of raising concerns but in this case you know nothing about the family or their care arrangements.

Greenyogagirl Fri 22-Jul-16 12:33:05

The thing is, child could of been up since 4am, refusing to get dressed, throwing breakfast on the floor. Family could be going to something together which starts at a specific time and are stressed and are literally at their wits end. We all know when our child is genuinely needing help or is just playing up and your distress might be their whingy. I don't think it's fair to judge parents at the end of their tether.
If it's every morning then yes say something, otherwise just leave it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now