We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Annoying comment about newborn twins - witty comebacks or let it go?

(60 Posts)
possum18 Tue 19-Jul-16 13:31:34

I have 14 week old twin boys, when we are out and about it is non stop having people stop us to chat or little comments and questions, absolutely fine! A few other twin mums say they get a lot of people stopping them with the old 'double trouble' type comment, But I've also been having what I think are really rude comments and questions from people and it really boils my piss blush in general it's 'I couldn't think of anything worse' but this morning a man in waitrose stopped me, looked in the buggy and said that twins would be his absolute worst nightmare and he'd 'kill himself' if he ever had any.

I know I'm probably in new mum sensitive mode, and it took such a long time to fall pregnant I'm so pleased to have one baby let alone none. People should just think before they speak.

I bit my tongue and walked on but it's really wound me up.
WWYD - witty sarcastic comment or just leave it?
hmm

skatesection Tue 19-Jul-16 13:32:53

Pretend you didn't hear and ask them to repeat until they get sheepish and piss off.

FuzzyOwl Tue 19-Jul-16 13:33:27

Just leave it. If you didn't have twins, you would still get people stopping and still get lots of witty comments but they would be about something else. However, they would still be equally as annoying.

HerRoyalNotness Tue 19-Jul-16 13:34:49

For that specific one

<head tilt> "what an odd thing to say. You'd rather leave your DC fatherless than have twins?"

Hockeydude Tue 19-Jul-16 13:36:37

Just don't engage. The guy in waitrose sounds unhinged, you should just move along.

FreeButtonBee Tue 19-Jul-16 13:36:42

God, the newborn twins comments. 🙄 I never found a decent come back. Just know that you are doing an amazing job. And hang in there for the days when you don't have to play cars/dinosaurs/monsters with them because they play together. It's (almost!) worth it!!

I got about 2% of the comments for my singleton so the theory that you'd get comments anyway is total bull.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Tue 19-Jul-16 13:39:30

Tell them they have some jealous on their face and offer them a tissue to wipe it off.

Twins are awesome. And you handling it is awesome. You're awesome. They're not. It troubles them.

possum18 Tue 19-Jul-16 13:40:21

FreeButtonBee it is so weird how so many people make twin comments compared to with singleton babies isn't it!? Even the nice comments and questions after a while get tedious, but I'll always smile and play along because they are being polite.

Wish I had thought of the leaving babies fatherless comment grin

Maybe it's the hot weather and the lack of sleep.

titchy Tue 19-Jul-16 13:43:11

Smile enthusiastically and say very loudly 'I'm sorry, for one moment I thought you'd said you'd commit suicide if you had twins - what was it you actually said?'

Obviously insert whatever they did say otherwise you'll look deranged.

NeedACleverNN Tue 19-Jul-16 13:44:47

possum18 Tue 19-Jul-16 13:44:49

I'm still rather flabbergasted by what he said that I'm finding it much more humorous now, what a weirdo gringrin

possum18 Tue 19-Jul-16 13:45:21

CleverNN that's great!!

Dairybanrion Tue 19-Jul-16 13:46:27

Hahahaha the big fecking eejit... He'd kill himself. Did he really say that?! He must be having a seriously shite day to say that.
Smile op. Smile.... Aaaaand Nod.
Repeat 1...2...3...4 smile and nod smile and nod smile smile smile smile smile and nod.

possum18 Tue 19-Jul-16 13:46:28

grin

RevoltingPeasant Tue 19-Jul-16 13:49:50

grin at Clever

OP I'm not a mum of multiples but tbh, I think you'd be better being direct and calm, rather than coming up with PA comments. I mean, the point is, saying you'd kill yourself rather than have a child like yours is a horrible, horrible thing to say to a new mum. Even in jest! So, say that.

<calmly> 'That is a really unpleasant thing to say to a new mum, even as a joke.'

'Please don't talk about my newborn babies like that. I feel very lucky to have them.'

Then, walk away.

You will leave them feeling ashamed!

isthistoonosy Tue 19-Jul-16 13:50:25

I don't have twins but a small gap so now they are 1 and 2 people often assume so I get double trouble, to which. I generally respond 'but twice the fun'
Other ruder ones I either ignore or say, well at least I have planned well for minimal parental involvement when they are older.

Had no comments at all when I just had the one baby.

NeedACleverNN Tue 19-Jul-16 13:50:50

There's loads!

Just stock up on your comebacks and keep that grin firmly in place

Itsaplayonwords Tue 19-Jul-16 13:55:14

I get this with my premature (and very small) baby. Some people actually gasp with shock at her size. Other people look confused when I tell them she's actually a month old. I find it very weird that strangers come up and start asking questions anyway, it's one thing to say "aw, a newborn, how lovely" or something similar but to ask prying questions is just odd. I tend to smile but answer in a very matter of fact way and they tend to get the message.

possum18 Tue 19-Jul-16 13:57:01

PlayOnWords aww I

possum18 Tue 19-Jul-16 13:58:22

Oops posted too soon. I bet she is lovely! The twins were very small too and are just out of their tiny baby clothes so we had similar, I hope she is doing very well and you are enjoying her star

backinthebox Tue 19-Jul-16 13:58:30

I don't have twins. But I have a redhead and people have said to me that they would rather kill themselves than be the parent of a ginger. There are dicks out there no matter what kind of children you have. I find it is best just to ignore them, or (if you can't, and trust me - I just can't sometimes too!) say something like 'did you actually mean to say that or did you just sound like a dick by accident?'

possum18 Tue 19-Jul-16 14:01:25

BackInTheBox there is nothing wrong with a ginger baby - Meet our eldest twin Lewis, a little Gingie just like his dad was growing up!

ThreeLeggedCat Tue 19-Jul-16 14:04:59

Maybe you could reply to the "I'd kill myself if......" comments with "if you would, that would be great" or something similar!

sunnyshowers Tue 19-Jul-16 14:10:58

I got all those comments when my boys were younger. ..to be honest the kill himself comment is vv rare. The double trouble...we'll I got that too...I always smiled and yes "your right...double trouble but double the joy....its an amazing experience...I m so blessed to have them"
I never let it bother me at all...I was so delighted with them I didn't hear the negatives

backinthebox Tue 19-Jul-16 14:11:12

I'm a redhead myself but DC1 had a full head of bright red hair right from birth and now has a stunning fiery mane. Of course there is nothing wrong with it. But some people will still find reason to make a negative comment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now