Talk

Advanced search

back garden fence

(10 Posts)
mummypig2piggies Mon 18-Jul-16 11:17:22

So when I moved into the property I'm renting the estate agents said they would put a fence up which was missing from the left hand side of the back garden skip 3 years down the line and having changed estate agents and still not getting anywhere with a new fence I received a phone call off them today saying that the landlord is responsible for the right hand side only? Is this true or are they fobbing me off??

user1468836084 Mon 18-Jul-16 12:34:16

The boundaries should be defined in the deeds of the property. But to be honest deeds can be vague. Where we live we have joint boundaries.

foolonthehill Mon 18-Jul-16 12:36:45

By convention many properties take responsibility for the left hand side...can be confirmed by the deeds. If so your next door neighbours are responsible, or it could be a cop out by the LL.

honeysucklejasmine Mon 18-Jul-16 12:38:33

It depends on the age of the house (as tradition seems to change over time) but best way to check is to look at the deeds.

My deeds show all fences as "mine" as do the neighbours'. Between us we have come to an agreement where we have one fence each.

mummypig2piggies Mon 18-Jul-16 13:02:08

Thanks everyone I had a feeling it would be a cop out as I've been waiting for a response for so long from them unfortunately because I rent the property I would never find out what it says on the deeds!! Think there dragging there feet as I had a list of repairs that needed doing and they haven't done any I've done them all so I'm guessing they're hoping ill do it myself or just ignore it!!

LIZS Mon 18-Jul-16 13:12:38

Could well be true. If you want to check download the deeds form land registry for a fee although these do not always define responsibilities. Can you not put up stock netting across the gap , within the border.

LIZS Mon 18-Jul-16 13:14:09

Oh and no one is legally obliged to maintain an actual fence, just the boundary line.

mummypig2piggies Mon 18-Jul-16 13:33:26

Thanks LIZS there's nothing there at all so would need posts and fence the estate agents promised to sort it when i first moved in and then again when someone came out about 11 months ago so just wondered why they've now said that it's not their responsibility!!

Redyoyo Mon 18-Jul-16 20:41:28

It depends where you are in the UK, in Scotland most boundaries are common to each side and the owners are mutually responsible for a fence, wall or hedge.

mummypig2piggies Mon 18-Jul-16 21:34:32

We're in Birmingham but read so many different things online about who's responsibility it is!! Yeah I wouldn't mind if it was joint responsibility as I'd sort a quote and speak to the neighbour! with summer finally here I want the kids to go out in the garden more but my son only just coming up to 1 will want to wonder next door and he hasn't cut his grass since winter so god noes what's in there!! My daughter is 5 so she just plays happily in the Wendy house plus he's a bit of a drinker and has his friends round so wanted a bit of privacy for the kids!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now