Talk

Advanced search

WWYD - Favour and payment

(18 Posts)
CatSittingMonkey Sun 17-Jul-16 13:07:57

On Friday I got a call at 8am from my DB to ask if I could look after his GFs house cat while she visits him abroad for 4 days and her flight is at midday...
I say yes not really thinking about the consequences - my two cats and that I wouldn't be able to do my weekly earning role on sunday (requires me out of the house for a few hours) and helps top up the monthly income.
His GF sent the cat along with £50 and a bunch of lovely flowers. I've bought extra food for him and a feliway plug in which totals just over £25 and the loss of earnings would be £30-I know it seems paltry but over the month these evenings add up.
My DM is adamant I shouldn't use the £50 and hand it back, she's made me feel a bit guilty and now I'm not sure what to do!

WWYD? Hand the £50 back or use it as above?

ThatsMyStapler Sun 17-Jul-16 13:19:44

Why wouldn't you use the money given?

Why should you be out of pocket doing someone a favor

YouSay Sun 17-Jul-16 13:23:17

Keep it of course.

Floralnomad Sun 17-Jul-16 13:23:26

Of course you should keep the money .

HaPPy8 Sun 17-Jul-16 13:25:25

I dont see any problem with keeping the money. But why cant you do your job? Cats dont need 24 hour attention.

OlennasWimple Sun 17-Jul-16 13:31:32

Why wouldn't you use the money offered? And why is the cat coming to live with you - that's just stressful for the GF and your own cats

WellErrr Sun 17-Jul-16 13:32:58

Of course you keep the money.

Why did you need to buy a Feliway and extra food? Didn't she send everything it would need?

HSMMaCM Sun 17-Jul-16 13:43:36

Keep the money. Can you look after the cat in their house? Why can't you work while you're looking after the cats?

AndNowItsSeven Sun 17-Jul-16 13:45:08

What's a feliway and why do you need it? And of course you can go to work.

stealtheatingtunnocks Sun 17-Jul-16 13:53:13

Why can't you leave them?

If you're worried about fighting, can't you put the guest cat in one room and shut the door?

HerRoyalNotness Sun 17-Jul-16 13:57:15

Could you not leave cat at GF house and pop in there to refill food and water and scoop litter daily instead?

CatSittingMonkey Sun 17-Jul-16 16:24:21

I feel like I can't leave him on his own because he's so demanding. I can't walk out of a room without him meowing. He's settled well though, follows me around everywhere. And I feel bad shutting him in a room. Because it was such a last minute thing the GF didn't being anything other than the cat in a carrier with his litter tray. I didn't even think to mention home comforts/food.

DBs flat is over an hour away so I wasn't able to just pop in and check up on the cat, sadly.

Feliway is a plug in pheromone diffuser thing that's meant to help cats feel relaxed and less stressed. I think it's working as there's been no fighting yet and one of mine is super territorial.

Feeling a bit better about keeping the money now. My mum has some strange cultural manners/etiquette thing going on and sometimes I struggle to know if she's right or wrong.

OurBlanche Sun 17-Jul-16 16:26:36

Use the money, tell your mum it is none of her business, ask your DB if they had a nice time...

MyKingdomForBrie Sun 17-Jul-16 16:35:56

Leave the cat in a room for a few hours while you go to work, really think you are making so much more of this than is necessary. It's 4 days and the cat will be fine even if it meows for a bit.

OlennasWimple Sun 17-Jul-16 16:39:03

Honestly, you don't need to stay off work because the cat is meowing

rollonthesummer Sun 17-Jul-16 16:40:50

Go to work-the cat will cope!!

CatSittingMonkey Sun 17-Jul-16 18:30:38

It's not work work if that makes sense, noone will miss me if I'm not there and thankfully didn't email with my intention to be in this weekend.

As it goes, I've enjoyed a relaxing, guilt free afternoon.

Thanks for telling me what I needed to hear smile

Missgraeme Thu 28-Jul-16 10:01:33

Say bye cat and go to work!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now