Talk

Advanced search

Mocked for my illness

(14 Posts)
turnipturnip Sun 10-Jul-16 16:48:52

I suffer from a very visible health issue and this was noticeable yesterday. I felt very unwell but was determined to go to a special occasion I had been invited to. At the occasion I sat with a family member and across from where we were sitting were a group of 3 women. One turned around, whispered to another and she turned. They pointed to the third and pointed in my direction. All three were giggling. This went on for about 10 minutes with glances in my direction (no one sitting behind or next to us). As we were both facing the same way their head turning and whispering was obvious and blatant. During the event the ladies were facing the other way and were about to take a film or photograph things going on. I saw one lady holding her phone and she turned it in my direction - clearly trying to get a picture of film of me. She then showed it to her friends. I felt humiliated and was ready to leave at that point had it not disturbed the event. I was literally holding back tears it was that awful. I stayed as I didn't wish to upset or cause an issue with the person celebrating but left as soon as I was able to without it being noticeable.

Ive been checking the pictures posted to Facebook today and so far - nothing. Ive identified the person responsible. WWYD in this situation?

TealLove Sun 10-Jul-16 16:53:33

I'm so sorry that happened to you. How upsetting.

originalmavis Sun 10-Jul-16 16:53:55

God that's awful. What a bunch of jerks. Did your party notice at all? If I'd been you or someone in the party I'd be over there with my best Keely accent 'whats your fucking problem, mate??'

Lumpylumperson Sun 10-Jul-16 16:57:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

turnipturnip Sun 10-Jul-16 16:59:15

No one I was with noticed I don't think. We were in church so it wasn't a situation where I could go over and say something to them - I am known for doing so normally but in a quiet situation where it could've ruined the celebration I thought it best to sit and ignore it as best I could. I didn't know if I should mention to the person who we were there to celebrate with or if any pictures go on Facebook put a comment about it or just leave it? I am more mad about it today.

NeckguardUnbespoke Fri 15-Jul-16 10:05:17

We were in church so it wasn't a situation where I could go over and say something to them

Ah, Christians. So loving. So kind.

Dairybanrion Fri 15-Jul-16 10:07:02

Complete and utter ugly ignorant bitches.
Am furious for you.
Bitches.

Toocold Fri 15-Jul-16 10:09:17

It says so much more about them than you, they are despicable. I hope you are ok x

SortItAhhht Fri 15-Jul-16 10:17:30

How upsetting. They sound like truly awful people.

Could you mention it to the person who's event it was? It might help you feel a bit better if you were able to say 'just wanted you to know, your friends X, Y and Z were incredibly rude and hurtful to me during the celebrations in CHURCH yesterday'...? perhaps she/he might then have a word.

Otherwise, please don't let the action sod some incredibly unkind and ignorant idiots make you feel bad about yourself. The type of people who find it funny to humiliate another person over their appearance (especially if it is related to a health condition) are not people worth worrying about. Utter arseholes. flowers

reallyanotherone Fri 15-Jul-16 10:17:58

I'd send the person a message spelling out what she did and how it made you feel in no uncertain terms.

What have you got to lose? She's obviously no friend, and it might make her think about doing it again in future.

PhloppysFonics Fri 15-Jul-16 10:25:28

Just because they were in a church it doesn't mean they were Christians!

I'm sorry this happened OP, those people sound vile and should be ashamed of themselves.

Lumpylumperson Fri 15-Jul-16 19:21:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

freetrampolineforall Fri 15-Jul-16 19:44:52

Being in a church doesn't mean you are a Christian but you think the setting might have given them second thoughts about being nasty fecking bitches. Unless you have some way of letting them know not sure what you can do. Some hurtful shit will naturally come their way. What goes around will come around. Which is little comfort when your feelings have been hurt.

chocolateworshipper Mon 18-Jul-16 16:45:05

If your health issue is considered a disability, then they could be found to have broken the law under the The Equality Act 2010 which makes it illegal to discriminate because of disability. Discrimination includes “unwanted behaviour linked to a protected characteristic that violates someone’s dignity or creates an offensive environment for them.
If you do have a protected characteristic, they could also be subject to section 146 of The Criminal Justice Act 2003, which provides for increased sentences for aggravation related to disability. Please bear in mind that I am in no way qualified to provide legal advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now