WWYD or say if a stranger told you to go back to where you came from

(28 Posts)
WonderMomma Mon 27-Jun-16 09:27:32

Just want to prepare myself.
Without having to tell them that I've passed the Britishness test, pledged allegiance to the Queen under oath, paid lots in taxes and never claimed benefits, of course none of the above would matter to someone who's xenophobic/racist.

Okkitokkiunga Mon 27-Jun-16 09:31:34

I have also been wondering this. I can only come up with ignoring them or saying I'm sorry you feel that way.

stickygotstuck Mon 27-Jun-16 09:35:31

I'd have trouble no coming up with something like "see, people like you make me glad I come from somewhere else".

I do realise how counterproductive that could be but my blood boils when I think that a meeker response may lead some time believe it's OK to make that sort of comment to someone.

stickygotstuck Mon 27-Jun-16 09:36:11

*not coming up...

GinIsIn Mon 27-Jun-16 09:38:00

Our tiny island has been invaded multiple times - the Danes, the Saxons, the Vikings... almost none of us are "from here" originally so I would just remind them of this and say "after you."

originalmavis Mon 27-Jun-16 09:38:03

'fuck off'. There's no debating with pigshit.

apivita Mon 27-Jun-16 09:41:42

Same here. I'd like to know what to say - so I'm following this thread.

It hasn't happened to my children yet but friends who live in another county but next to ours down south, have had 'I know why you look funny, that's because you're [from x]' said to their children - aged 10. Their mother is from my country, and their father is British. Just like my dh. White British.

I'm rather worried.

Kummerspeck Mon 27-Jun-16 09:42:58

I would love to think I could give a witty retort telling them they are closer to primeval slime than I am but I know in the heat of the moment I wouldn't manage it

Mark Twain said "You should never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

For what it is worth, most British people do not think people of other origins should go home and I am sorry you are facing this

Okkitokkiunga Mon 27-Jun-16 10:15:23

A few years ago a French friend was being teased (all very lighthearted) who responded with William the Conqueror was the last one to invade you - you're Frenchgrin. That shut him up.

I would stick with a meek answer as no matter how much I'd like to tell someone to boil their head I don't want to lower myself to their level. I am really hoping my family don't experience anything.

FinallyMadeIt Mon 27-Jun-16 10:18:13

I'd most probably smile at their ignorants, racial comments couldn't and can't hurt me.

fishybits Mon 27-Jun-16 10:18:31

I told him to fuck off.

I'm white British living in Scotland and was to go back to my "own country" by a Scot.

Rainbowshine Mon 27-Jun-16 10:23:24

Tell them the next bus isn't for an hour, then head tilt.

I am very sad people are facing this, did leave voters honestly think that those who have built and made their lives in the UK would suddenly disappear?!

ZansForCans Mon 27-Jun-16 10:30:28

Me too fishybits, during the Scottish referendum. By a bloody Tesco checkout assistant!

It hurts and it is very hard to know what to say. I just stood there gaping like a goldfish, so I'm not much use on this thread.

Really sorry to anyone who gets told this. I'm English and I welcome you as much as ever OP.

ZansForCans Mon 27-Jun-16 10:33:09

I like Rainbow's answer grin

Yes, I think some numpties really did think - and to be fair, were led to believe, though they shouldn't have believed it - that anyone who had come to Britain via free movement of labour across Europe, would just have to go "home" the next day and we would have some kind of massive fence up in a few days. hmm

LaurieFairyCake Mon 27-Jun-16 10:35:11

"Did you see that Who do you think you are programme where the BNP candidate discovered he was black 9 generations ago and he had 6 different nations in his mixed heritage. It was really fascinating wasn't it?"

grin with a nice big smile

JerryFerry Mon 27-Jun-16 10:36:50

Wow, sounds like you took an unusual route to citizenship. No swearing of allegiance or any such thing here.

minniewinnie Mon 27-Jun-16 10:37:48

In my experience people hate it when you point out their actions in plain terms. Maybe just saying something along the lines of 'that's incredibly racist / xenophobic' in a shocked (not angry - although you'd be untitled to feel that way) tone may just stop them long enough to make them think about what they've just said - and let's face it most closet racists wouldn't dream of calling themselves that and would probably (I hope) be ashamed of themselves enough to just shut up!

fieldfare Mon 27-Jun-16 10:40:27

They'd be told "oh do fuck off now, won't you" with a head tilt and slightly condescending smile.

We've already had a woman smirking at Dh and then whispering about "foreigners" after he gave his name to collect an order. It's disgusting, utterly vile behaviour.

Daisyandbabies Mon 27-Jun-16 13:33:14

Just to reassure you, my husband has been here 8 years and not once has had a remark like that. If he did...pretty sure his reply would sting quite a bit ;)

poppym12 Mon 27-Jun-16 13:39:39

'i'm not sure my dear mother would take kindly to having me shoved back up her vag'.

Missgraeme Thu 28-Jul-16 10:48:05

Tell him to go back to his rock.

Missgraeme Thu 28-Jul-16 10:48:21

Or her!!

LuchiMangsho Thu 28-Jul-16 11:42:54

Naturalised citizen. Yes, had to take a test and the oath and attend a ceremony. No one has said it to me but I would say, 'why don't YOU go back?' To which they would say, 'I am British' and the answer to that is 'so am I!' But in reality best not to argue with racists in his environment.

Onedaftmonkey Sat 30-Jul-16 23:58:52

A huge Fuck off hear too. I was told once to go back to "Jew" land. I literally pmsl at their ignorance. Shit heads like that are probably hiding their own mixed race heritage. If we all went back to where we came from it would be one holy hell of a mess. No one knows that. Not for sure.

HerRoyalNotness Sun 31-Jul-16 00:02:17

Do you mean to where I was born? (NZ) or where my ancestors were from? (Scotland, France, Czech Republic). Which should I pick?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now