Talk

Advanced search

Women bloodied face walking past me in town

(5 Posts)
Isabelle111 Thu 23-Jun-16 00:28:44

This afternoon, in the town, I saw a woman walking towards me and I have sworn that she had a bandage on her nose and scaring on her face but as she came closer I saw that her face was in fact bloodied - really - not red and blotchy but covered in blood - as if she'd just been attacked. Young-ish - walking purposefully - looking anxious.

My instinct was to rush up to her and see what I do to help/ask her if she was OK (clearly, not). Why possessed me not to, I don't know. I hoped someone else would - (quieter part of town but still pretty built up) - I hoped that this was an old injury - by the time I realised that of course I should have acted on my instincts, she'd disappeared from view.

I'm feeling awful - it is so not like me to walk past, as it were. I wouldn't have minded if she'd rebuffed any offer to help - at least I'd have asked. My guess is that, as it was all so graphic, someone did stop for her.

I am wondering now, feeling sick with myself, if I should call the local police in case it's useful info to them.

Any advice very welcome. It was quite shocking. Of course, it all seems rather unlikely - daytime - large town - but I recall it all very clearly.

GingerIvy Thu 23-Jun-16 00:40:38

You could report it to the police, and they may be able to follow it up. Might be local CCTV that has her on it, too.

IsItIorAreTheOthersCrazy Thu 23-Jun-16 00:45:57

I remember discussing a proven theory once that the more people there are around an assault taking place, the less likely it is that someone will help you. I can't remember what it's called, but basically, everyone thinks someone else will do it. Having 1 or 2 bystanders is actually better. It's very very common.

I would speak to police about your concerns and remember your feelings in case anything similar happens in future. flowers

Isabelle111 Thu 23-Jun-16 00:57:24

Thank you for responding, especially at this hour! I'll be going to the nearest station to the accident before work tomorrow - I can honestly say that not acting on instinct, until it was too late, is totally out of character for me.

Isltior - an interesting theory - and, yes, I won't forget what I saw in a hurry. Hoping now that this young woman is OK - but I'll inform the police of what I saw. Ginger - yes, I was wondering if there's CCTV. Bound to be - it was all very near a largely shopping precinct.

Mishmashpotatoes Wed 06-Jul-16 19:14:58

The Bystander effect! There was a case many years ago in America where a young lady was stabbed to death in her garden as all her neighbors watched on, none of them called the police.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now