URGENT - dying bird in my garden

(7 Posts)
porridge90 Tue 07-Jun-16 10:49:34

I glance outside this morning and my dog was dragging a poor bird around by its wing. Obviously my cats had caught it and the dog was now enjoying her new 'toy'. I feel absolutely horrendous. I am completely terrified of birds (long story) but after ages spent trying to get my dog to drop it, I have managed to get the dog inside.

The bird is now sat on my patio. I can see it breathing (very very quickly) but it is in a really bad way.

I have no idea what to do. Handling it is out of the question for me, but I would happily see if a neighbour or something will help me if the general concensus is that I need to pick it up and take it somewhere.

I would say it is fairly certain it will not survive its injuries, at the very least it probably wouldn't fly again.

I don't have it in me to 'finish it off'.

I'm just watching it out of the window and I feel this horrible sick guilt that my pets have done this. Don't get me wrong, they have caught and killed stuff before and I feel awful then too, but watching it clinging on is horrible.

WWYD?!?

dodobookends Tue 07-Jun-16 10:53:00

What sort of bird is it?

porridge90 Tue 07-Jun-16 10:56:18

I really don't know. An average sized grey one? Let me take a picture

porridge90 Tue 07-Jun-16 10:59:53

excuse the mess, we've had builders in and well... our patio is a shit hole.

Ok so here's the bird, it is grey like a pigeon but much smaller. It has sat itself up somehow.

ChameleonCircuit Wed 08-Jun-16 23:35:49

OP what happened to the bird?

Kanga59 Wed 08-Jun-16 23:55:41

fwiw I would have taken the cat to it to finish the job it started

porridge90 Fri 17-Jun-16 17:30:00

Sorry I have only just seen these replies! My husband put the poor thing out of its misery. We couldn't bear to see it suffering any further. It was very sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now