Talk

Advanced search

What to call me?

(3 Posts)
PlonkerFace Sun 05-Jun-16 21:40:38

My 2 DSD's moved in with us 2 months ago after a court order was made, I won't go in to too much detail but their mother was emotionally abusing them. Social services haven't allowed her to have any contact as of yet but are going to look at trying supervised in a few months depending on wether her attitude has changed or not. It's not looking likely at the moment though and she's also in court next month facing prison. The girls have settled in great and are fab with their little brothers. Anyway, they've been nagging from day one to call me mam and all along I've said "no because you have a mammy" and they're always gutted. "Oh it's not fair" etc. After 2 months of nagging me and DP have agreed that they can call me mam and call their real mother mammy because that's what they've asked for. I don't know how I feel about it because on one hand I don't want to say no and have them feel any different to their brothers but I don't want social services or their mother thinking that we've told them that they have to say it. If they do end up having contact and say it in front of her she's obviously not going to be pleased and I don't want them getting a earful from her. What would you do?

lljkk Sun 05-Jun-16 21:48:57

"Mam [your firstname]"?
If they often shorten that to Mam, fair enough.

redexpat Sun 05-Jun-16 21:54:46

I think it's a pretty good system. Like having 2 different names for each set of grandparents. I think it's really sweet and a promising sign actually that the suggestion came from them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now