A WWYHD - about fence panels and replacement

(7 Posts)
MagratsFlyawayHair Tue 17-May-16 07:07:58

Our Garden borders three others. It's a box configuration as we back onto a another street. Last summer two of the fences collapsed. We all checked out paperwork but were none the wiser about who owned what so all three of us split the cost fairly. We replaced horizontal sat type fences with upright fences that have gaps to allow the wind through to hopefully prevent future wind issues!

Now our third fence has gone. Our neighbours on that side a pretty elderly (mid to late 80's) and the lady in the couple gets worried about changes and things. They're lovely neighbours to have, we've never had any issues and we like them a lot.

The whole of their garden is slat fences. The sort the wind will get again. Their other two fences are also different from this damaged one. In another horizontal slat style.

So whether we get upright fence like our style, or the new style like neighbours one of us is going to have an odd side out side of the garden. We had a couple of quotes from different workmen and the cost for each style is the same.

One other factor that may be relevant is that when we moved the garden we got was an awful mess. We are at the point of having ripped out all the rubbish and in the next year or two will be renovating the whole
outside space.

We've already made a decision and reached agreement with the neighbours, but I'm being heavily criticised by a friend of mine for what we've agreed and I'm curious how the MN wisdom comes down on it. WWYHD?

BlueMoonRising Tue 17-May-16 08:16:36

If the neighbours are in agreement, what on earth has your friend's opinion got to do with anything?

If the new style is more likely to withstand weather, I'd definitely be pushing for that one.

MagratsFlyawayHair Tue 17-May-16 08:45:04

Her opinion doesn't bother me or sway me. She was just so vociferous in her view I wondered whether I'd be the minority in what we've agreed. I was only starting a conversation.

BlueMoonRising Tue 17-May-16 08:49:16

Ohh, just saw how that sounded - I didn't mean it as a criticism of you - it was mean't as 'why on earth does your friend think her opinion is so important' - but looking back it doesn't read that way, sorry!

MagratsFlyawayHair Tue 17-May-16 09:10:36

grin the joy of written communication! In that case I agree. Her sticking her air in is pointless.

If you're curious, we've agreed they can have their fence panels of voice and we'll still split cost 50/50. We were at a total impasse and my neighbour was getting upset but trying not to show it.

Friend thinks we've been push overs.

We figure if we're doing up the garden anyway we can budget to do something on our side to change the look if it really bothers is so there's no harm done really.

BombadierFritz Tue 17-May-16 09:13:33

Sounds entirely normal. What alternatives are there? You pay 50% and get your choice - equally unfair. Or you pay whole cost and get your choice. Fair. So letting them choose is a nice thing to do.

BombadierFritz Tue 17-May-16 09:15:29

Forgot the wwyd part. I'd do what you did. Speak to them. Get fence fixed. Not stress too much about style of fence etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now