Talk

Advanced search

Registered SO

(4 Posts)
Redskyatnight42 Sat 07-May-16 19:01:12

Looking for some advice....

My DH brother is a registered sex offender. He has served time for having indecent images of children on his computer. I have a 3 year old and will not allow him around my lo. My DH family think I'm unreasonable and that he will be ok around my lo as long as there are other people there. They act as if he is a victim and have totally brushed what he did under the carpet. They are making me feel like I'm crazy but the thought of him even looking at my lo makes my stomach churn. DH is very supportive of my view, although I do think he would allow him to be around our lo as long as others are there.

Need some reassurance that I'm not in the wrong!

TrojanWhore Sat 07-May-16 19:04:02

No, you are not in the wrong.

But neither are they unreasonable for wanting closely supervised contact, to permit the occasional whole family gathering. That might be achievable without posing a risk, but I can see why you might worry it would serve only to be the thin end of a very unpleasant wedge.

GruffaloPants Sat 07-May-16 19:15:04

I think your position is completely reasonable.

It would probably be safe to have close supervision at the occasional family gathering but if you don't feel comfortable with that then it is perfectly ok. You might point out that having to explain to your child why they can't play with their uncle could be awkward. If your BIL/wider family have an issue with it then they need to consider who has created this situation - not you.

Chrysanthemum5 Sat 07-May-16 19:18:52

I think YANBU. How could you take your child to family gatherings with this man knowing that he found images of children being abused sexually arousing.

Yes with supervision he may not pose a risk to your child but what reasonable person would think that was ok?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now