Talk

Advanced search

Advice on relationship, please?

(1 Post)
Petseybear22 Tue 03-May-16 08:30:24

I met a man a year ago. He was single for a year after being in a 'loveless' friendship type relationship for 5 years. He was with her as she was part of a group of friends my partner hung around (and drank heavily) with. He claims that he never told her he loved her and that their sex life was non existent towards the end. When they finished, they remained friends. (He stopped drinking). However I came along, I fell in love with him but was not happy that he wanted to still hang around with her ( and wanted her to remain an integral part of his families life). I refused to accept this and be in a relationship where there was 3 people in it. To keep this very brief, his friends have disowned him ( he still has others) and they are making him (and me via proxy) feel very bad. I did not want to be part of a (drinking) social scene where they reminisced about when my partner was with his ex and I couldn't bear the thought of being in the same room with someone he had been intimate with whilst our relationship was in the flush of 'young' love. I have stuck to my guns and insisted that if they were his true friends, they would accept that our new relationship had to build and see it from my point of view. We have recently become engaged but they still make him feel guilty. This whole thing is really undermining our relationship. We argue about it still. I think his friends are being very selfish and are not allowing him to move on with his life with a new partner who loves him very much. Has anyone else been in the situation, and how did it turn out for you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now