Advanced search

Tail of woe...

(20 Posts)
HRPuffinstuff Sat 30-Apr-16 18:28:53 I am not a bad speller, it's meant as a pun. Although I'm very far from feeling punny at the mo...

This is my very first post and am doing it more to clarify my thoughts and keep myself occupied for the next few hours. It's a doggy tale and involves that moment all dogs lovers dread.

This morning all was as usual in my two dog household, dogs and I were having our usual Saturday morning lounge in bed; son slumped around house noisily before heading off to work. I finally roused myself up and out of bed, let dogs out, flung some washing in the machine and after coffee dashed off for the weekly scramble around the supermarket.

Got back, more coffee and onto laptop to check emails, and mumsnet of course. Both dogs in their habitual position across my feet waiting to trip me up as soon as I stand. Then the older of the two tries to get up and falls over, immediately I can see something is seriously wrong - every time she tries to stand she falls over.

I immediately ring my vets, of course they're shut so their call system put me through to the emergency vets. I explain the situation, the voice at the end of the phone tells me where the emergency vets is located and informs me that there will be an upfront payment on £135 on top of any treatment fees.

At this point my son returns for his between shifts break, he helps me get the dog into the car and sits in the back with her as I race to the vets. Dog is very sick all over car and son on the way. Once we arrived the dog was examined thoroughly and blood taken. The vet could find nothing wrong from any of the tests but agreed my lovely, beautiful dog was gravely ill and extremely distressed...near death in fact. He discussed with me the options, further tests and least £800 probably more and possibly no answers or prospect of improvement - and she could still die...or...well you know what the other option was...we could put her to sleep.

I am not wealthy, have very limited savings, but if the vet had given me hope I would have gone down the treatment option, he didn't, so with a breaking heart I agreed to having her put down. Son and I were sobbing at this point - as I am now as I type this.

I signed the paperwork with tears raining down onto the form. We both made the decision that we couldn't be there when the vet performed the procedure so he left us for a few minutes to say our goodbyes. And as all pet owners who have been in this position, we stroked her, told her we loved her, reminded her and ourselves of the great life she had had and exited the room. The staff were very kind, can't fault them and appreciated their understanding but I couldn't stay in the building, I paid the £310 bill and left.

Arriving home, desolate, I collected all of her belongings straight away knowing that leaving them lying around would just add to the heartache, sobbing as each item was bagged up. I then sent texts to all my friends to inform them of events, most of them are ardent pet lovers too and I knew I would appreciate their support.

Three hours later the vet rang. He hadn't put her to sleep straight away, and when he had finally come to do it he felt she had improved... a lot. He said that in 30 years of doing the job he had never had to make a call like this. I am in bits...They are going to monitor her for the next 5 or 6 hours, although they initially wanted me to bring her home to monitor her here - I said I couldn't go through seeing her suffering and having to make the heartbreaking decision of having her put down all over again. If she has improved enough for me to bring her home, how long will it be for? Will she suffer a relapse? So many questions, so few answers, I feel sick to my stomach, my head is all over the place, I don't know what to do, right at the moment - although I know it's bloody selfish of me - I don't want to be a grown up with decisions to make - I want someone to come along and make it all better.

Sparklingbrook Sat 30-Apr-16 18:46:04

I don't know what to say just yet so we will have wine wine to start with while i have a think.

FullMoonTonight Sat 30-Apr-16 18:55:42

We had a very similar scenario with a cat recently. Very poor prognosis given when he was taken to the vet very unwell, followed by rapid recovery

I think they err on the doom and gloom side, to avoid giving false hope or prolong sufferings?brewbrewcake

FullMoonTonight Sat 30-Apr-16 18:56:09

I would wait it out a bit.

Sparklingbrook Sat 30-Apr-16 18:57:22

OK. I think some reassurance from the vet is required here, and really I would want a diagnosis/prognosis before bringing the dog home.

Also from a practical point of view you have already paid £310. If the dog is to have a lengthy stay at the vets this will all add up, and at the moment with no guarantee of anything at all.


GreyAndGoldInTheMeadow Sat 30-Apr-16 18:58:10

I really don't know, that extremely hard situation. Maybe if you reposted in The Doghouse someone might have some useful advices for you flowers for you, I hope it turns out with a happy ending

FullMoonTonight Sat 30-Apr-16 19:00:26

Sorry, that should read "avoid" prolonging suffering.

Amnesiac Sat 30-Apr-16 19:04:13

flowers ah OP what a horrible situation/decision to make.

Could you you bring her home, rather than incur more vet's bills, and see how she is?

I mean if she's had some sort of stroke could she live on for a while - I don't know, it's heartbreaking ....

MrsDeVere Sat 30-Apr-16 19:45:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WellErrr Sat 30-Apr-16 19:49:18

I would bring her home with painkillers.

Get a refund for what didn't happen.

Give her a few days with painkillers and love and see how she does. I wouldn't push for a diagnosis as it could be a long, expensive process.

If she gets better, great.

If she doesn't - at least you know you tried.

MrsDeVere Sat 30-Apr-16 19:50:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WellErrr Sat 30-Apr-16 19:53:46


Earbudbitter Sat 30-Apr-16 20:27:55

I would bring her home and be with her I the worst is to happen. If however there is a chance then she's with you and you're not incurring greater bills from emergency vets.

HRPuffinstuff Sat 30-Apr-16 22:01:13

The Vet has just rung, in their opinion she has recovered enough to come home, no diagnosis, am off to pick her up, thank you for your good wishes and comments

FullMoonTonight Sun 01-May-16 06:33:10

Such good news! flowers

Sparklingbrook Sun 01-May-16 14:32:52

Hi OP, how are things today?

HRPuffinstuff Sun 01-May-16 20:31:00

I couldn't believe it when I arrived at the vets...she was nearly her normal self...not the at deaths door dog I rushed there with only hours before.

I slept downstairs with her last night - not that I did much sleeping. I've kept a careful eye on her all day today, she's eating and drinking fine and pottering around as usual.

I am extremely thankful that events played out the way they did....even if we are no further forward in understanding why it happened and if it will happen again...I have my lovely dog back.

Sparklingbrook Sun 01-May-16 20:32:39

Ah I am so glad, you must be relieved. What an up and down 24 hours though. flowers

Earbudbitter Mon 02-May-16 08:26:44

flowers pleased for you op

queenMab99 Sun 22-May-16 23:39:41

My springer spaniel did this about 3 times, he was about 14 the first time, we were out walking and he collapsed, I had to wait with him for about 50 mins, wrapping him in my fleece jacket, while DH, who was also recovering from a serious illness, ran back to get the car, we put him in the car and drove home intending to ring the vet. When we got home, he jumped out of the car and ran up the path. When we did actually have him pts. it was at the end of a slow decline when he was 17.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now