Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Only key to wardrobe lost by DS - WWYD?

(11 Posts)
LilyLapwing Sun 24-Apr-16 21:09:58

Not an emergency but I've run out of ideas! 9yo DS has a small wardrobe in his room that's full of useful stuff that isn't needed often - sleeping bags, nice dresses (grin), bags of summer clothes, boots, spare school stuff, etc. There's only one key. He's found it, played with it and lost it. Wardrobe is old and solid and belongs to landlady. I've already wasted hours on this; turning his room upside down, wandering round the house in ever decreasing circles, looking under EVERYTHING with a space under it. He remembers having it, being told to put it back, then putting it SOMEWHERE but he has no memory of where! Any tips? I've even considered some kind of dowsing, that's how desperate I've become!

TheSpottedZebra Sun 24-Apr-16 21:14:18

Pick the lock?
Wave a magnet about and hope you find the key?

allegretto Sun 24-Apr-16 21:18:07

Have you tried another key? Wardrobe keys arent usually very sophisticated. Failing that - is it on top of the wardrobe
? That's where ours was!

SingingMyOwnSpecialSong Sun 24-Apr-16 21:30:18

Do you lnow anyone with a metal detector?

LilyLapwing Sun 24-Apr-16 21:32:07

Hi, thanks for your suggestions. Zebra I haven't tried picking the lock as I've never successfully picked one in my life and was convinced it wouldn't work (not that I've tried THAT often!) but I will give it a try tomorrow. DP suggested a metal detector but in the whole house there's a fair amount of metal stuff so not sure about that! allegretto - I've tried all the other keys I could find with no luck. The key was kept on top of the wardrobe and is definitely not there now, or anywhere else in his room that I've looked...

LilyLapwing Sun 24-Apr-16 21:35:25

Ha ha, cross post song! We have a toy metal detector that works ok, but with all the general metal stuff in the house I'm not sure how that would work... Our house is pretty cluttered and a bit messy so just stuff everywhere! Drives me mad... I'm the only one who ever tries to sort it out sad

NotCitrus Sun 24-Apr-16 21:51:43

Is it a classic wooden wardrobe? Just go to a locksmith and ask for a wardrobe key - they don't even need cutting.

A small knife might work to pick the lock.

LilyLapwing Sun 24-Apr-16 22:22:25

OMG Citrus - I had no idea! Just looked for 'wardrobe key' on ebay and they all look exactly the same, and I'm pretty sure that was exactly what the lost key looked like. And I can get one on there for £1.19 grin Thanks so much for the help everyone, and Citrus, you're a star. I love MN!

TheSpottedZebra Sun 24-Apr-16 23:08:08

Oh, wardrobes are easy to pick! A wiggle abput with a bent hair clip and you'll probably be alright.

NotCitrus Mon 25-Apr-16 10:48:41

£1.19! The locksmith charged me a tenner!
On the other hand I then sold the wardrobe as part of a set for way more than I was expecting, to a lovely couple who really wanted them all, so worked out in the end. grin

LilyLapwing Mon 25-Apr-16 10:59:26

A tenner?!? Bloody hell... glad you got your money back from selling them on! Thanks again for your help - I've ordered a new key and hopefully it will fit and all will be well. I'm sure the old key will turn up as soon as we get a new one! If it doesn't fit I'll be at it with the bent hair clip! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now