Talk

Advanced search

was undersold in a charity shop

(26 Posts)
rosyleigh Mon 11-Apr-16 12:14:27

So I needed a frame for a picture I have, saw the perfect one in a charity shop, didn't pay much attention to the picture in the frame, just liked the frame. Bought for princely sum of £1.99.

Get home, take picture out to replace with mine and notice the picture in the frame I bought is an original watercolour by a little known South American artist called Lopez Baylon. Look him up on the internet and find that there are oil paintings on canvas (this is watercolour on card/paper) by same artist going for between £350 - £1000 on Ebay.

Take back to charity shop or sell on Ebay?

Fishface77 Mon 11-Apr-16 12:14:59

Sell on eBay!

Alfieisnoisy Mon 11-Apr-16 12:15:40

Depends how much you need the cash tbh. If I was desperate then yes I would sell it. If not then take it back and tell then charity what it is worth.

Wanderingwondering Mon 11-Apr-16 12:16:05

Oh wow how exciting! I would sell then give a decent donation (half?) to the charity shop

bishboschone Mon 11-Apr-16 12:16:15

Why not sell it and make adoration back to the charity if you do to want to take it back . Of course you know the right thing to do but that would a compromise .

FishWithABicycle Mon 11-Apr-16 12:16:18

Sell on ebay and donate half the profit to the charity.

ApocalypseSlough Mon 11-Apr-16 12:17:13

Word for word what fish said.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 11-Apr-16 12:18:07

Are there watercolour paintings on paper on eBay?

I wouldn't presume that it's worth the same as oil on canvas, but it's probably worth something. As you only paid for the frame, and you can keep that, I think I'd take the picture back. Maybe.

Then again, it's some luck, so I don't think it'd be terrible to sell it on eBay! You bought it, and the charity shop didn't do due diligence in checking the picture...

I'm torn. In an ideal world, you'd take it back, they'd give you some money to thank you and sell it on eBay for more. In reality, you'd probably get a thanks but not much more, and you wouldn't know if the staff member sold it on eBay themselves.

Hm.

Ratbagcatbag Mon 11-Apr-16 12:18:27

Sell on eBay, donate some of the profit when you sell it.

SouthDownsSunshine Mon 11-Apr-16 12:19:01

I would sell it, and give a good donation back to the charity.

Woodenmouse Mon 11-Apr-16 12:26:17

I'd sell it and give half to the charity

rosyleigh Mon 11-Apr-16 12:33:49

Think I will do exactly as most of you are saying, sell it and give a donation to the charity. On further investigation, it would seem his watercolours don't go for nearly anything like his oil on canvas, so that's put pay to my Del Boy moment. Ah well - those few extra pounds will come in very handy all the same and its just made my addition for hunting in Charity Shops even stronger.

rosyleigh Mon 11-Apr-16 12:34:30

*addiction

rosyleigh Mon 11-Apr-16 17:25:32

And now I've just discovered that some pottery items I bought at the same time for £3.49 for a set of 3 are worth £50! grin

Natsku Mon 11-Apr-16 17:30:47

Charity shops are great for getting things that can be worth quite a lot! I used to work at a charity shop and when we priced things it was just a random guess based on how 'nice' the item seemed and how much we thought people might pay for it so some things would be priced really quite cheap but could be sold on ebay for a lot more. There's no point us pricing them higher because people won't pay higher for things from a charity shop generally so I wouldn't feel bad about getting something for so cheap.

BoboChic Mon 11-Apr-16 17:32:00

The whole point of charity shops is to snare a bargain smile

ShinyTurd Mon 11-Apr-16 17:38:43

Which charity shops are you going to OP??!! The ones round here never have anything good sad

Spandexpants007 Mon 11-Apr-16 17:41:18

Keep the cash

BertrandRussell Mon 11-Apr-16 17:43:14

"The whole point of charity shops is to snare a bargain smile"

And there was me thinking the whole point was to make money for charity......

Spandexpants007 Mon 11-Apr-16 17:49:42

The point of charity shops is to make money for their charity AND offer a valuable service the community.

rosyleigh Mon 11-Apr-16 18:06:33

Shiny just the local ones to me, I don't live in a posh area at all. In fact when I go in the posh area ones, I find that there are never any bargains to be had at all.

Today I also saw a Sticky Fingers coat for £8 and some Mint Velvet leggings for £4.00. But they weren't to my taste so I left them for someone else to enjoy the 'find'.

I must admit, I'm addicted to charity shops, I just can't resist having a 'quick' look in if I'm passing. I guess there are worse things to be addicted to so I'm embracing it as my hobby. grin

Natsku Mon 11-Apr-16 19:52:48

I'm addicted too OP! I'm hoping to start working part time in a charity shop again soon so I get first pick of whatever gets brought in grin

Adarajames Mon 11-Apr-16 20:53:25

Well done! Most of the big charity shops have people who give more knowledgable valuations to stock so it's not often you get such a find these days smile
I'm another in the sell (unless you got it because ou like it and want to have it in your home!) and share profit with charity

floraldresser Mon 11-Apr-16 21:10:29

Sell picture and pottery stuff on eBay and keep all of the money.

You found the bargain, it's yours to decide what to do with it.

girlfrommars33 Tue 12-Apr-16 19:31:13

What pps said - sell and give half to the charity. That way everyone gains and you get some extra cash and have done a good think by making the sale and a decent donation smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now