Advanced search

Change of surname

(6 Posts)
poppy7836 Wed 06-Apr-16 20:40:38

I'd really like your experiences on changing your surname when you get married.. especially when children are involved. I'm due to get married to my brilliant other half who already has 2 children (with his surname), from his previous marriage. I have a child who has my X-partners surname and am not sure what to do. We live in a era of gay marriage and equality, where people don't change their names any more or double barrel. I've also built up a my business with my name. I haven't made up my mind either way, but would appreciate your experiences.

CMOTDibbler Wed 06-Apr-16 20:46:21

Keep your name. You don't want your ds to be 'odd one out'

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 06-Apr-16 20:50:55

It has to be your decision. It's too personal. I don't think anyone can advise you properly.

Maybe keep your old name for now, presumably your ex's?, and revisit the problem a little down the line after you're married.

ThePartyArtist Fri 08-Apr-16 12:35:20

We both double barreled after a lot of thought, and don't regret it at all. Putting whichever name you like as a middle name is also an option. Keep your name for your business though.

Footprints1 Sat 09-Apr-16 07:19:56

Hi, I recently re- married and have 2 children with ex husband. My new husband wanted me to take his name and I felt like it was part of marrying him.. Becoming one etc..

I did struggle with this at first as my children would be left with my ex's surname. However I did what I thought was right, (and didn't want to be still associated with my ex) so changed my surname.

Since then my children decided that they want to be known as both as they feel would be part of us both so have double barrelled the names with my new marriage name at the end. They live with me, and only see their father once a month.

We haven't done it legally, as feel that they can do it themselves when they are old enough and we feel that they can make this decision themselves when they are old enough to. They are 8 & 6 year old at the moment.

Hope this helps you.

PoachedPair Fri 24-Jun-16 16:24:53

You can keep both names. You can now apply for a new passport in your married name and keep your current name for work. It is noted in your passport as "also known as...>"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now