Talk

Advanced search

Argentina for BIL's wedding with a 9 month old and a 4 year old??!!

(8 Posts)
dontcryforme Wed 06-Apr-16 12:48:21

My BIL is marrying an Argentinian and they are thinking of having the wedding in Argentina, around a year from now. Alternatively they may do the the civil bit here and then have a religious bit and big party over there shortly after. It's DH's brother and he's obviously keen to go but with reservations, and I'm overwhelmed just thinking about it. DC#1 will be 4 by then and DC#2 due imminently will be under 1. Direct flights only go from London (2hrs + from us), take 14 hours and cost around £800-900 each so we'd be looking at close to at least £3k for us all just for flights. (Assuming baby goes free but that's a long time to have them on a lap?)
We'd planned to have a good 2 week family holiday all inc somewhere around next May and that would probably cost less than these flights. I'd love to visit Argentina and we have flown with DC#1 a few times but only within Europe. Can't help thinking that you won't see Argentina at its best with two small kids in tow and it's a lot of money to spend, even if it's not so expensive when we've over there. We'd need to go for at least 2 weeks to make it worthwhile I think though and so leave and cost do come into it.
Would you go?

LadyStark Wed 06-Apr-16 12:52:59

I would, yes. It sounds like a great reason to go to Argentina and I wouldn't want to miss my BIL's wedding.

The plane journey will be fine, it won't be the most enjoyable 14 hours of parenthood sure but it will be fine. You'll need to make it your big family holiday, maybe have a chat with your BIL's partner to see what they'd recommend doing with the children? I'm sure there will be plenty of family friendly activities available.

msrisotto Wed 06-Apr-16 12:53:21

I'd love to go to Argentina, and if being at his wedding is important to you then there's even ore reason to. I don't know about the kids angle. Latin americans have a reputation for being family friendly....

dontcryforme Wed 06-Apr-16 13:09:09

I do like to travel and we've done city breaks abroad with DC#1 with ease but the AL beach hol has really come into its own too. I was never a fan before, yet now it's a real holiday and one we ALL enjoy. I'm sure with another child the appeal will just grow. Not sure we could do / afford Argentina AND a beach hol though. We travelled around Cuba as a couple of few years ago and though it was great, it really felt like travelling and effort, as opposed to a break and a holiday. I know Cuba isn't Argentina but still..... I'm unsure what jabs are needed for Argentina too?

dontcryforme Wed 06-Apr-16 17:12:13

Looks like yellow fever is needed for some areas and can't be given to under 1s...

dontcryforme Thu 07-Apr-16 22:35:57

Bump!

girlfrommars33 Tue 12-Apr-16 19:37:01

Argentina is a fantastic country. Personally, I'd go. Wouldn't want to miss BIL's wedding either.

Are they based in a city or the country? Either way can you book a base for a fortnight and a hire car, and explore within an hour from that for your holiday (or chill out back at base with red wine and steak) to minimise travelling. Don't feel you have to see the whole country just focus on what's nearby and see SIL's family who I'm sure will be pleased to host/see children.

OliviaStabler Tue 12-Apr-16 19:41:47

Personally I would not go. Children too young too appreciate it and you can celebrate the wedding in the UK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now