Talk

Advanced search

Decorator has damaged my fridge freezer

(9 Posts)
PingPongBat Wed 30-Mar-16 19:20:04

We have a really nice, good decorator that we've used for years.. He's a local man and does painting for many of our neighbours and friends. He's painted our utility room today, which involved moving our fridge freezer out of an alcove & back in again.

This evening there is a slow leak at the bottom of the f/f sad

The wood floor will be covered up with tiles in a few weeks, so I've just put some absorbent cloths down to try & minimise any damage to the floor.

The f/f's a large Bosch frost free one, about 10+ years old, but is in really good condition, doesn't ice up etc, and I thought it would still have loads of life left in it.

How would you approach this with him? Or would you just not say anything and wait/hope he will notice and mention it himself? He's coming back tomorrow to complete the painting. I won't be here when he arrives as I'll be at work, but DH will be here. I am a total chicken and hate confrontations of any sort, they make me feel sick

NattyNatural Thu 31-Mar-16 23:38:14

When he comes say "oh there's a leek that we woke up to, any ideas what might have happened? It's never done this before. Might you have knocked something yesterday?"

Wait for him to own up/fix it/pay for damages.

ExasperatedAlmostAlways Thu 31-Mar-16 23:41:05

My dh (who is a decorater) has liability insurance to cover things like this. I'm sure he should too. I'd be looking to see if there is someone who can fix fridges it could just be some things been disconnected?

ExasperatedAlmostAlways Thu 31-Mar-16 23:42:33

And really, it's not actually the decorater job to be moving furniture etc moving a large fridge on your own is a big job and should ideally of been moved for him.

ClarenceTheLion Fri 01-Apr-16 00:21:47

Can you find out discreetly whether he has insurance? If he's just a local 'handy man with van' type he may not have.

To be honest, if you like him and he's good value for money, I'd consider sucking it up and claiming on your contents insurance. If the fridge freezer is over 10 years old, it may have been waiting for an opportunity to pack up. (But find out if he has insurance first!)

PingPongBat Fri 01-Apr-16 10:16:14

Thanks for the replies.

Looking back I agree with the point about moving it ourselves, that would have been the best idea. Clarence I think you are probably closest to my instinctive reaction on this - suck it up and consider replacing anyway. We have an small excess on our accidental damage cover, but my main concern is that our premium might rise in June when we renew, because of the claim.

I mentioned it to him in a text ('a mysterious leak has appeared') and I asked him to get DH to help move it yesterday, but then the leak mysteriously dried up confused smileso who knows what happened. We're getting the flooring company to move 5 appliances for us when they come in a few weeks, so I'm going to check with them about insurance etc.

caroldecker Fri 01-Apr-16 10:49:09

Probably not damaged. the frost free bit has a system that melts the ice, collects it in a pan and then evaporates it. Moving probaly just split the water in the pan.

PingPongBat Fri 01-Apr-16 12:07:28

thanks caroldecker - that could well be the explanation

dementedpixie Mon 04-Apr-16 19:57:48

You should check the drip pan at the back and see if there is more water in it. It can normally be removed to empty and clean

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now