Talk

Advanced search

Buy a house near power line?

(8 Posts)
Alexandra6 Wed 09-Mar-16 10:59:04

Hi, I've found a house I love and want to buy, but there is quite a high voltage power line running near to it. It's 11kv and it basically looks like a wooden pole with 3 wires running in a horizontal row. I've attached a pic of the type of pole. Does anyone live near one of these? Would you buy a house near a high voltage power line in terms of health risks of electromagnetic fields?! Or am I overthinking this! Thanks, any opinions welcome.

MrsUniverse Wed 09-Mar-16 14:24:26

Overthinking. Buy the house.

Kingfisherfree Wed 09-Mar-16 14:27:10

No I wouldn't buy a house by a power line not sure why just wouldn't.

VulcanWoman Wed 09-Mar-16 14:44:21

How far away is it from the house.

Alexandra6 Wed 09-Mar-16 21:27:03

It'a about 30m from the end of the garden and approx 70m from the house?

VulcanWoman Wed 09-Mar-16 22:10:35

That type of power line, that far from the house would be ok with me. Pylon near by or wires going over the house then not good IMO. Looks like a countryside location, if so this will surly be a common thing, houses will need electricity, thus having these power lines not too far away.

NattyNatural Thu 31-Mar-16 23:51:10

You would be mad to buy it.
Dangerous and you would struggle to sell it in the future

Alexandra6 Sun 03-Apr-16 19:48:41

We actually did buy it in the end! I think it isn't uncommon to live near this type of smaller power line in the countryside and it's at least 50m from the house (pic attached) so I decided it would be fine. Especially after (and this is going to sound very tin-foil hat paranoid!!) I bought an electromagnetic field monitor and tested the area and my London house, and the London house had higher readings. I also found out we have a shed sized substation right at the end of my London road and apparently they are bad to live near?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now