I think I'm in love with a very old friend

(3 Posts)
songsofthesea Fri 26-Feb-16 23:28:17

Hey

So I can't talk to my IRL friends about this as we are a close knit group and I'm worried about it going wrong. But I am in a bit of a pickle.

I recently met up with a man I have been friends with for years but for one reason or another, haven't seen for the last couple of years. We have been out for dinner and/or drinks about 5 times in the last couple of weeks, sometimes alone, sometimes with friends.

The time before last we were mistaken for a couple by a drunk old boy trying to make conversation. Neither of us corrected him - keen to escape - but I kind of glowed when he referred to me as 'your lady', to my friend. When we left I was suddenly overwhelmed with an urge to kiss him goodbye. (I bottled it and kissed his cheek. Unusual for us as we are both very reserved and a bit awkward.)

We ran into each other last night and had a drink. I had bailed on a very big fancy party, and he was surprised but pleased to see me. I went home at the end of the night and kept waking up in the night trying to make sense of it all.

We are around the same age, he is a little older, and both single. He is painfully shy (I think he has only had one serious girlfriend) and I have a (frankly undeserved) reputation as being a bit of a slapper. We share interests, can sit and talk all night, text almost every day. I don't want to jump him - he would run for the hills - but I can't shake the quiet realisation that I may be falling in love with my kind, shy, gentle friend.

Where do I go from here?

Bloodybridget Sat 27-Feb-16 04:18:23

Seeing each other five times in two weeks is a lot for anything other than a couple relationship, isn't it? How did that happen?
What I mean is, if you're suddenly both very keen to meet frequently, is he having strong feelings about you too?
Hope things work out well for you!

ConkersDontScareSpiders Sat 27-Feb-16 05:27:07

I think it sounds like the feeling might be mutual...
Usually when you see each other is it always out somewhere? If so perhaps invite him to your house next time? Might give him a subtle hint that the relationship is changing from what it was to something more? And then You can see how he reacts to that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now