Advanced search


(4 Posts)
tezbabe12 Thu 11-Feb-16 21:59:27

Hi there am knew to this page and am looking for some help i have been with my partner for while know.... he muslium and am uk.... we decided place date get marryed.... but stressing me out i have phone up where go get info on how start extra forms for him to fill out bec we can get date till we go thro all coucail told us fill out one form witch right one... he spoken to his lawyer see if there any thing eles we would ve needing aprt from what highland coucail telling us... apprent i need be earing 18k year before i can get marryd new law...i dont get that a year.. am scared am going lose him when time to aplay got his visa again with this year... i realy dont what lose my partner and soul mate as i be realy hart broken l....plz plz can any one help me...with any info has been marryed this year 😢

TheGoldenApplesOfTheSun Sat 20-Feb-16 22:32:59

Hi there, this website is a great place to start with help and advice: There is also a lovely Facebook group, the name escapes me but I can find it for you.

It explains all about the new rules and how they work. It also explains the "Surinder Singh route" which is a way to get around the income restrictions by using your EU citizenship - basically you would have to live together in another country in the EU eg Ireland, for 6 months or more, and then move back to the UK. As far as I know you don't have to meet the income requirements to just get married in the UK, but your husband won't be able to turn a marriage visa into a more permanent spouse visa if you don't meet the requirements.

Good luck, it's a hard road. Hopefully the law will change but until then there are ways to cope with it.

TheGoldenApplesOfTheSun Sat 20-Feb-16 22:39:03

I would also add, beware of spending a lot of money on immigration lawyers - the reputable ones will list their fees up front and not charge on a "per hour" basis. They should also be listed by the good practice guide: Office of the Immigration Services Commission, who you can complain to if they don't do their job.

Depending on how much you earn you may qualify for legal aid or a reputable adviser may take on your case "pro bono" (for free). Ask your local Citizens Advice centre or on the BritCits website for more details.

TheGoldenApplesOfTheSun Sat 20-Feb-16 22:39:58

The faecbook group is called "I love my 'foreign' spouse" and is full of people like you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now